Help! Ick issues!!!

noah's nemo

I have not used copper and i am actually still fairly new to hypo(only done 3 times).I'm no salt expert by far,i've only been doing it for alittle over 3 years.All i know is, the first year i was cocky.Thought i would never have any problems.Then i get the ich and lose my YT and Royal gramma.Its not worth it at all, to not QT and just take alittle more time to do things right.
JMO

florida joe

For what it’s worth Garlic is a immune booster not an ick killer. IMO it does little as an after the fact treatment.
As far as cleaners go. They would have to get every parasite on the fish to be effective at braking the live cycle. I just don’t see that happening especially when you consider that the parasite is most likely embedded within the gills. As far as hypo exploding the ick parasite as it attempts to divide, this is not true IMO. The parasite depends on osmotic pressure differential to transfer fluids from within the membrane to outside of it. Without this differential (hypo conditions) there can be no transfer of this fluid and they literally smother to death.

bellebelle

Ok so I just read the thread I have an idea. I want advice. :) I currently have a 24g aquapod with 2 clowns. I've had a tank for 2yrs about to get serious I have a 210G to put in my wall want to make it a reef. I'm still learning about corals that another ? . My idea is this would it be a good idea to treat my fish with Cooper b4 I add them to my 210? I have an extra 24 g to use as a qt. I in no way want to get ich in my new 210g. That would be a nightmare !!!!! I'm open for suggestions.

kaseykagan

We have had our 155gal Reef tank up and running now about 7 years. We have had to fight ICK a number of times and lots of times with negative results. We tried different things including the garlic but it never seemed to get rid of it.
Recently someone told us to keep our tank at 82 degrees and we would not get the parasite, He said they cannot live at this temp. OK we said we would give it a try and it cost nothing. WE HAVE NOT SEEN ANY ICK SINCE!!! We cannot believe it. It is the best our tank has ever been and don't cost a cent and more importantly you don't have to add anything to the tank! We have added several fish, which we found was the time ICK would break out,and never have there been a sign of the parasite
TRY IT!

noah's nemo

First of all ...in wall
my dream someday...
OK,so the clowns are the only 2 and have been in there for 2 years.Chances are they are ich free,but if they have never been treated,you do not know 100%...This may not be smart ,but i wonder if you could do a self test.Maybe stress them abit to see if they get it.IDK about that idea....If it was me and they are already in the 24,i would just start hypo in there.Your right about one thing,you do not want ich in a 210.

noah's nemo

Originally Posted by kaseykagan
http:///forum/post/3224611
We have had our 155gal Reef tank up and running now about 7 years. We have had to fight ICK a number of times and lots of times with negative results. We tried different things including the garlic but it never seemed to get rid of it.
Recently someone told us to keep our tank at 82 degrees
and we would not get the parasite, He said they cannot live at this temp. OK we said we would give it a try and it cost nothing. WE HAVE NOT SEEN ANY ICK SINCE!!! We cannot believe it. It is the best our tank has ever been and don't cost a cent and more importantly you don't have to add anything to the tank! We have added several fish, which we found was the time ICK would break out,and never have there been a sign of the parasite
TRY IT!
Keep your fingers crossed,this may work for freshwater,but not salt.

florida joe

Recently someone told us to keep our tank at 82 degrees and we would not get the parasite, He said they cannot live at this temp. OK we said we would give it a try and it cost nothing. WE HAVE NOT SEEN ANY ICK SINCE!!! We cannot believe it.
first the hobbyist has to be sure its ick second you can not believe you do not have ick because of the temperature you are running your tank at I cant believe that you believe that

bellebelle

No the clowns r in my 24g in my living rm. ( my 4yo's nemo tank) we bulit a house 2 yrs ago with the intentions of a fish rm with my 210 I'm finally getting it told my husband he needed to put it in as my val day present !! Whoo hoo. So I think I'm going to treat on the front end and keep the heater up :) thanks

srfisher17

All raising the temp does is speed up the life-cycle of the parasite a tiny bit; ich can easily live and reproduce at any temp a fish con tolerate....and fish do just fine at 82.

noah's nemo

What gets me is,so many people still turning their back to the fact that there is only 2 proven ways of killing it.I guess they all have to learn the hard way......I did.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3225140
What gets me is,so many people still turning their back to the fact that there is only 2 proven ways of killing it.I guess they all have to learn the hard way......I did.
This debate will go on forever. Until I see a credible source say otherwise; I'll stick with the assumption that ich is only totally eliminated by PROPER use of copper or Hypo. There are lots of one-time accounts of something else working; but it isn't coming from the real experts in the field..