Help ID a few things please.

carpe_diem

is this long hair algae?

what are these red spots on my LR? i have a sh*t load of them

some more pics of the algae

is this seaweed?

i have no friggin clue what this is, my friends think its red algae from the description i gave them, they havent seen the pics yet

J

jdragunas

My ideas:
Pic #1 is probably hair algae. I have some of this in my tank too. People say it's bad, but i have no idea why. I was actually going to post a thread about this...
Pic #2 i have no idea, the pic's a little blurry. It could be some coraline algae, or red slime, but i believe red slime coats everything, and doesn't just come in little spots everywhere. Not so sure about this...

Pic #4, not sure about this either, but does it look like the same kind of stuff as #5?
Pic #5. I also have this in my tank. I have no idea what it is, all i know is it's some kind of algae. It hasn't hurt my tank at all, so i'd just leave it alone.
Sorry i couldn't be more help.
Jenn

carpe_diem

Originally Posted by jdragunas
My ideas:
Pic #1 is probably hair algae. I have some of this in my tank too. People say it's bad, but i have no idea why. I was actually going to post a thread about this...
Pic #2 i have no idea, the pic's a little blurry. It could be some coraline algae, or red slime, but i believe red slime coats everything, and doesn't just come in little spots everywhere. Not so sure about this...

Pic #4, not sure about this either, but does it look like the same kind of stuff as #5?
Pic #5. I also have this in my tank. I have no idea what it is, all i know is it's some kind of algae. It hasn't hurt my tank at all, so i'd just leave it alone.
Sorry i couldn't be more help.
Jenn

thanks for the help, the pics look blurry but you can click on the picture for a bigger one. in pic #4 im trying to see if that leaf looking stuff is sea weed. i have no idea why other people say hair algae is bad, any reason why people say that?

meisacao

I think i have a couple of those from pic #2. They look almost purple and they are leathery looking, I haven't figured out what it is either. :notsure:

promisetbg

#4 looks like a type of dictyota{a type of macro} nothing will eat it as it is very fibrous.It is also invasive.....if this tank is going to have corals,I'd remove it.
# 2 looks like foraminiferans as stated.

carpe_diem

thanks for the replys everyone, i have one more question though. what do you thing these white slug looking things crawling on my glass? they seem to be multiplying really fast and grows fast as well.

carpe_diem

i would but they are so small the camera wont catch it. it seems as if some of the larger ones are eating a patch of algae. they are thin white slug/worm looking things that crawl on the glass and they dont seem to have any kind of appendages(spelling?).