Help ID mystery anemone?

mechslave

I've looked and can't seem to match this one up...anyone? Just picked it up from LFS a little earlier. He's still not settled and opened up yet.

T

thomas712

Strange that an LFS would sell an animal and not have it identified :notsure:
There are three things that make me guess Heteractis magnifica, one the color of the column, two is the blunt sometimes dual colored tentacles, three it seems to have a smooth column
However, the Heteractis magnifica, should have many more tentacles to it than this one does.
If it were Heteractis magnifica, I warn you they can get really huge and I mean mongo.
With the open disk shot in the second pic, it has tentacles spaced more like the BTA, but then again it seems to have many more tentacles surrounding the capitulum than your typical BTA.
Lets give it some more time to get accustom to your tank and see how it looks then.
It's just a guess and maybe other will give their opinions as well, after all, I'm just learning like everyone else.
Thomas

viper_930

At first glance I thought it looks like a H. magnifica as Thomas suggested, and I'll stick to that.

unleashed

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Strange that an LFS would sell an animal and not have it identified :notsure:
Thomas
some stores have no clue and some suppliers have even less of a clue.i bet once this thing opens up its going to look awsome.I do hope its under mh lighting. at least it doesnt looked bleached

mechslave

Yeah, I have 2x110 VHO 2X250 MH.
Seems like it can't find a place to get settled. This is a rock anemone, though, right? Can't tell exactly but it almost looks like he's on the sand between the rock and the glass.
New pic from this morning....

mechslave

Afternoon update... Perc is hosting it! Tank raised, no less! Only one is, though, the other seems to be wary of it. Don't know if this helps narrow it down, or not. I know from what I've read that it's sometimes tough to get tank-raised percs to host.
(PS- I did the 'picture trick' that I read about yesterday, but I can't credit it to that because [a] the percs were in there less than 24 hrs and the clarkii's I have are hosting a carpet nearby, so he could have just as easily "learned" from that).

mr_bill

Originally Posted by clown123
green BTA high possibility!
I don't know, mine had alot longer arms than that one.

hottie79

God your clown is so adorable. I wish I had the lighting and a long enough established tank for an anemone.

T

thomas712

Can you get another facial shot of the oral disk...A top shot.?

saltn00b

what about a marroon sebae?
just a thought, because they do share some similarities with BTAs
or am i just being a n00b again? lol

pco1988

Originally Posted by clown123
green BTA high possibility!
I saw in one of the pics a couple of the tenticles to have the bubble look to them....I think it is a GBTA.

Cheers,
Philip