Help im drowning my fish!

dstoneburg

I recently setup a 21g tank. Its an open hood with eggcrate over the top. I have a powerhead aimed up for surface agitation. Yet my surface is covered in a filmy substance and possibly dust. The powerhead just pushes this back down into the water colum and make s the water seem like it has speckles all throughout it. Whats the best way to take care of this problem? Its a 21g with a tunze nano skimmer a maxijet 1200 with hydor flo and a koralia #1.

B

blackaero1

Sounds to me like you skimmer isn't getting all the junk. THe film is what is usually removed via a skimmer. Some people swear skimmers are not needed, but its just this reason I'm a big fan of them.

spanko

Hey Ren, I think the Tunze he is talking about is a protein skimmer not a surface skimmer. dstoneburg if you do not have anything skimmeing the surface of the water into a filter or sump, you can take a pc. of paper towel and lay it on the surface of the water and removes it quickly and it will take some of the scum off. You do need to find a way to get this taken care of without this type of intervention though as it will interfere with your waters gas exchange capabilities. You are running the Tunze though and this will help somewhat with gas exchange, but need to fix the surface scum issue.

dstoneburg

I think thats one of two flaws the tunze has. 1, it has to be submurged, 2, no surface skimmer. I went ahead and ordered this from the doctors website. I figure I can run carbon on it and just use the surface skimmer.. Maybe add some more flow too. Cant lose.
Bio System Power Filter & Oxy Surface Skimmer
* Quality power filter with built-in surface skimmer
* Automatically adjusts to water level for complete aquarium water circulation and filtration
* Three-stage filtration for clean, clear aquarium water