Help in raising Calcium Levels

miek

I have been trying to raise my calcium levels unsuccessfully in my 46 gallon reef tank. I have tried dosing slowing over a period of two days with a solution of kalkwasser (Kent Aquadose 2.5 gallon 4 teaspoons of kalkwasser/per 2 gallons of freshwater) I have also tried Kent's Tech A&B products. But, I can't get my level above 320. I dunno if I am doing something wrong or if my test kit is wrong. I am using the Hagen Calcium test ket. Also, my KH is 11. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

ewiski

go out and buy a bottle of kent marines magnesium. i had the same problem then i put some magnesium in there and it shot up the same night.

nm reef

I've had success using sea chem reef builder and reef advantage.....dose both on a alternating schedule.....calcium stays around 450ppm and alkalinity stays around 2.8-3.5 meg/l.....also dose 1 teaspoon kalk per 1/2 gal ro/di nightly......

ogitrev

I've simply been using Coral Life salt to make my salt water. Coral Life has the right amount of calcium mixed in with their salt. Mine stays at a constant 450ppm with no dosing at all.
- Tom

adrian

Miek, I think your problem is this, the products you are using to raise you levels are meant to maintain Ca and Alk. Although its possible to raise your levels with these products, it will at least be very slow if not a never ending battle. Youll be better off using a product like seachem reef advantage, props to NM :). Whenever my Ca drops to about 450, which is rarely with the reactor, I add 3-4 teaspoons of reef advantage and the next day the level is topping 500ppm. Im not familar with yoru test, I use salifert and it has never let me down. HTH

burnnspy

I recommend using a Salifert test kit to get accurate results.
I also recommend Kent Turbo Calcium to boost ca readings. Kalkwasser is used to help maintain ca not boost it as stated before.
BurnNSpy

miek

I got the Tech M today and added some. Going to see how that works. If not, I'll get some of reef advantage or turbo calium this weekend. Since I am spending money, might as well pick up the Salifert test kit and see how that works. Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you all know how things turn out.
Mike