HELP Ive got it bad

kevcon

Okay you guys help me ive got it bad and i just can't make my reef look nearly as good as the ones ive seen here. I have a 105 gallon reef that I have been playing with for the about 5 years and it is now where near yours. I seem to constantly fight hair algae. Of course when I started this tank CC was the way to go and now it sounds like most of you are doing LS. (should I change over) I have 3 mh lights and supplement with vho blue atinic. My live rock looks like a pile of stones with coraline and my bubble coral looks out of place. I have had the bubble over 3 years and it is about the size of a basketball, his skeleton is over 6 inches high. Please tell me your secrets. I have been in love with every tank pic ive seen here........:eek:

fishkiller

I'm not Mr. Reef or anything, but I DO know that LS is the way to go. Get aragonite, it works and looks the best IMO. Good luck... Ask Hairtrigger--- He's a stickler about his 6 in DSB.

Yeah, from what I have read, the deeper and more fine the grain of the sandbed the better. You have more surface area for bacteria, more room for sand dwelling detrivores and other critters, more nitrogen fixation in the deeper levels, higher level (inverts are closer to lights if that makes difference depending on your lighting). The list goes on and on, run a search on this board about switching from crushed coral to sand and do a lot of planning before you go through with it to make it as non-messy as possible. Good luck! Hopefully one day you'll be showing of your tank pics on here!
:D

cboyfan2020

try drawing out on paper what you want your rock work, coral placement to look like before just diving in and switching things up. It will be easier and mor gratifying in the end I think.

nm reef

Kevcon...welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you've got a few problems that can be easily over come. Tell us more about your system....specifics on lighting/circulation/filtration/additives used/water test results for nitrate/calcium/alkalinity/PH/temp/specific gravity...the more info you provide the easier it may be to help improve your system.:cool:

stpabr

What was the last time the bulbs were changed?
Can a bubble coral be FRAGGED......that will solve one problem...:rolleyes: