HELP..little centipede looking things, all in my tank

lisa g

I found little white, clear centipede looking things all in my 12 g tank today. I also noticed a big centipede looking thing inside a rock that I have never seen before. Anyone have any idea what they are? And what to do?

lisa g

thanks. I looked it up after I posted and found it is a good thing. My cleaner shrmip died last week from a food problem and within 3 days I saw all the pods. Scared me but apparently it is a good thing. The bristle worm is about 1 1/2 inches and doesn't seem to be bothering my tank so i will leave him for now.

devilboy

Originally Posted by ClownGuy38
Try cleaner shrimp thats what the lfs told me

cleaner shrimp? they told you what?

littleliza

yeah... here's a good rule of thumb... don't just listen to anything you hear at your LFS, recheck with some research of your own from a reputable source. I've never heard of a cleaner shrimp eating a bristle worm, mine certainly doesn't. :)

devilboy

Originally Posted by Littleliza
yeah... here's a good rule of thumb... don't just listen to anything you hear at your LFS, recheck with some research of your own from a reputable source. I've never heard of a cleaner shrimp eating a bristle worm, mine certainly doesn't. :)
Lizas right. i have never heard of them eating bristleworms either. and mine certainly has never eating any of them... as for the pods i dont know, i have never seen mine eating pods either, but i have seen my peppermint shrimp eating pods.

nomad

Bristleworms are part of the tanks janitor crew and are harmless. Cleaner shrimp don't eat bristleworms or pods and this is the fist time I have have heard of peppermint shrimp eating pods--I haven't seen mine do that, it picks around in brightly lit areas where you wouldn't find amphipods.of course, it could find them at night. :thinking:

devilboy

nomad,
i dont think mine would eat pods either until i took a red light to my tank one night and seen one of my peppermints chasing a pod. and the bugger finally caught him and devoured it. but i havent seen it since.