help.Loud Overflow?

tacoma38

hey.just got my 180 up and running.But the over flow is super loud.does anyone have any idea what will help?its about 11inches wide.x7 inches across.has 1.5 inch hole.i have tred serval home made drain pipes out of pvc.Any designs would be worth a try to me.

ccfl

Do a google search for Durso Standpipes and you will find complete instructions on building them. Really easy to do and I don't hear a thing anymore on my 125 gal. after installing them.

fanker

top of pipe. this isnt the finished ine i put a pvc cap on the top of the pipe and griller about 1/4" hole in it

fishfinder

How does the water flow into a pvc elbow that is upside down? I am about to plumb my sump in the next week or so and I don't really understand how this works?

wattsupdoc

Hi Tim

As the water level raises in the OF compartment, it also raises in the turned down part of the Durso. When it reaches the height of the horizontal section it flows into the turned down section, which is the long pipe that stands up. It then begins to drain.
The Durso is a great standpipe, but I prefer a modified version of the stockman stand pipe. I eliminate the top cap and just put the reducing bushing all the way up to the top of the pipe. Then I cut a piece of acrylic (anything flat will work) to cover the top of the stockman. Drill some small holes in it and use a gasket between the acrylic and the standpipe. Then I use rubber bands to hold it in place. What this does is allows you to set the water level just high enough to achieve surface skimming, but not protrude above the tank. Yet still eliminating the noise of water falling over the baffles. As well as being able to remove the cover for periodic cleaning.
Here's a pic(not so professional looking graphic)

tacoma38

Hey Guys wanted to let you know i made a sandpipe out 1"5pvc.Works great I cant relly believe it got that quit.Thanks