Help, mad drive 2400 question

kpk

ok i am fixing to order a pump and i was talking with mnreefman about it, we both agreed with a 1200, but my question is could i just get a 2400 and govern it down a little, until i upgrade in the next few years? would it hurt the pump? it would be less money in the long run and i already have a backup pump (not quite as big).
Thanks,
Kyle

kpk

the bigger pump is only 15.00 more than the 1800 i think the 2400 would be better, either 90 or 45 degree angles, do you know if it hurts to govern it down. and then i would have to upgrade later.

kpk

hey, ill be on later tonight to talk about this it would be easier.
Later
Kyle

dive1

rather than gov down....place a T in the line with a valve going back to the sump and recycle. Less stress on the pump and can adjust. I have this on most of my lines. Good luck. Terry

kpk

Thanks for everyones replys
Dive1 thats a good idea and thats prolly what i will do
Thanks,
Kyle

nm reef

Interesting discussion. I dealt with the same problem a bit differently. I used a mag1200 for the past two years on my 55...when I developed the sump a mag1200 was plenty. But I'll soon be going to a larger display with a need for more circulation. So...back to the origional sump...I left plenty of room for the mag1800 to sit right next to the mag1200...so I'll have 2 return pumps running and I didn't have to worry about cutting back while I got ready to expand.:thinking: