Help maintenance issues refugium and sea swirl

lacey

I need help! My husband is gone and always works on the tank. I changed the sock in the refugium. I got a clog of algae in the protien skimmer mrc mr 2 I cleaned it out and started the system. Now my sea swirl is blowing air bubbles and the third side of the refugium is really low while the other two aides aren't. What should I do?

E

eric b 125

Sounds like your water level is low. You might want to add a little water to your sump and see if that works.

sly

Did you dump the water out of the skimmer when you cleaned it? If so then you will be low on water. How is your refugium set up? You mentioned that you have 3 chambers in it. How are they connected? Is the low chamber where the pump is located?
If you dumped salt water out, then you will need to put salt water back in. If you just put fresh water, then you will dilute your tank and possibly not have enough salt present. You would need to add salt to the water in that case...

flower

Hi, (if the problem is low water levels) a pump exposed to air will sent air bubbles out everywhere. So the pump of your skimmer has to be under water.
NEVER
add salt to your tank. Always premix any saltwater in a separate tub, and let it churn 24 hours before use, or at least 12.
Do you top off your tank? Everyday a little water evaporates, but the salt doesn't. Just add enough fresh RO water to bring the tank water back to the original level.
Unless you had some major leak, refilling to the regular water line with freshwater is not going to dilute your saltwater to any dangerous levels. The only way too much saltwater is removed is if you were removing and emptying the skimmer cup many times throughout the day...(wet skimming). Otherwise there is no need to replace any saltwater at all.

lacey

I figured it out when my husband got home. The ill bag with charcoal got plugged. It's running great now. Thank you.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey http:///t/395518/help-maintenance-issues-refugium-and-sea-swirl#post_3521960
I figured it out when my husband got home. The ill bag with charcoal got plugged. It's running great now. Thank you.
Hi,
I think this is a good time to share this:
I wrote down detailed instructions, and who to contact if there is ever an emergency, I'm not home, dead, or in the hospital. Nobody knows my fish tanks but me in my house, so I wanted to make sure that if something happened to me that my seahorses would be taken care of.
I put down how to deal with things if the filters get clogged, how to, and what to feed them, and how often. LOL...I even wrote down my log in name and password to SWF.com so help is always just a heart beat away.