HELP! Marine Velvet has Wiped out my 120!

Velvet has killed nearly everyone of my fish and now I have to restart. I lost all of my favorite fish which included a blue hippo tang, a blue throat trigger,a bursa trigger, a one spot foxface, and my gold stripe maroon and yellow belly dogfaced puffer. I have to start all over, what is some good ways to eradicate and ensure it will not come back. I believe it was the puffer who introduced it but it don't matter now.
I read somewhere about peroxide can and will this kill the velvet? Need your help please.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sugar granules sound more like ich, but either way, you will need your tank wo fish for the duration. In the meantime, I'd strongly suggest that you look in to setting up a quarantine tank. Using a quarantine tank with all new in-coming fish will save you from experiencing something like this from happening again. I'd also suggest not getting your new fish from the store where you bought the contaminated fish. Good luck!

Here is what marine velvet looks like:

Sugar granules sound more like ich, but either way, you will need your tank wo fish for the duration. In the meantime, I'd strongly suggest that you look in to setting up a quarantine tank. Using a quarantine tank with all new in-coming fish will save you from experiencing something like this from happening again. I'd also suggest not getting your new fish from the store where you bought the contaminated fish. Good luck!

Here is what marine velvet looks like:
I remember the fish had really bad pop eye like that and spots just like that.
I was cleaning the tank today and I noticed my bursa trigger and snowflake eel look good. How can I wipe the tank off the parasites but keep the fish in the tank?

lmforbis

It would be hard to do. Velvet is treated with copper. In theory you can treat your tank but copper will kill inverts and you will never be able to keep coral. Additionally sand and rocks will absorb the copper and that will lower the levels in the water making it hard to keep a therapeutic level of copper. The best option is to move the fish to a Quarantine tank. Once they have been treated and the tank has gone through the fallow period. Quarantining fish in the saltwater hobby is very important. This prevents things like velvet from ever getting into the tank.