Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 Fast!

ryanhayes9

i am soooo freakin tired of HAIR ALGAE!!!! it is spreading ans starting to take over my corals. I had took em all out ans scrubbed them to wake up and find even more hair algae on them
. I just got 20 more hermits making my total around 40 in my 55 reef. I was planning on taping black posterboard to the sides and front and keeping the lights off for 2 days. Can my corals go that long without light and can my fish???? i need to know asap. thanks!

michaeltx

the fish can but the corals probably wont fair real well.
have you figured out a cause of the aglae yet?
Mike

who dey

Well, i just battled a nasty case of it. 1st things 1st, are u running a sump style filter? and do you use tap water?

who dey

your algae is being fueled by a high concentration of Phosphates in your tank. There are a few inexpensive ways to remove phosphates effectively and keep them gone for good. Test, if you haven't already. any phos in excess of .2 ppm is cause for concern. I did 20% water changes every other day with RO/DI water for 2 weeks, siphoning as much of the algae out as possible ( never pull it of with your hands because it will get in the water flow and re-attach and spread even more until phos is controlled). Your light source should be turned back to only 6 hours of light a day. If ur running a sump style filter, there is a product made by tropical science called phos pads with hair algae additive. Use the product as directed (it really helps) Next "phosban" is a must! it's a granular phos sponge that comes with its own media bag. use as directed and if you have a sump, it should be placed infront of the intake on ur return pump so water can be pulled through the media. I run it constantly and change it out every 30 days. It works wonders! Cut feedings back to every other day. All of this should rid your tank of hair algae in 30 days i promise and it will never come back if you constantly run "phosban" to keep your phos under .1ppm. good luck

who dey

also a big help in control is a "tiger cowry" a large snail that is a freakin algae lawn mower. will clear large sections stunting growth as you work on your water quality.

who dey

Originally Posted by BOOGAMAN
where can i buy this phosban?
whats your email? i'll send u a link

ryanhayes9

im about to quit this hobby i swear!!!! tried to clea everything of hair algae and the freakin canister filter goes! 10 gallons all over the hardwood! My corals arent lookin to good. Can i give corals a freshwater dip? will that kill the hair algae?

renogaw

I have one patch of hair algae left from my outbreak upon setup of the tank. I haven't felt like removing my snail's fur coat, and it hasn't spread through the tank again.
but light isn't the only reason you have algae. check your food for phosphates, either by reading your ingredients, or leaving a sample in a bowl of fresh saltwater (not from your tank) and testing for phosphates in the morning.