Help me convert my 240g from FOWLR to Reef

95harley

OK, after my overnight revelation I'm ready to get started on the converstion. I want to make it a Reef that can also support my Dragon Moray eel. So keep that in mind as we go. A 3' eel (or two) will be in this tank along with a lot of small fish (Damsels, Chromis, Sgt Majors, Clowns, Anthias, etc). But only small fast easy to feed and care for fish.
So I'll first start with current FOWLR set-up:
Glasscages 240g Long (96x24x24) with twin overflows
2 x Koralia 7 PHs
Aqua C EV-240 Skimmer with a Mag 12 pump
Reeflo Dart Return pump
Amiracle Wet/Dry with 10g of Bioballs and 2 trays
2 x Via Aqua Stainless Heaters in the sump
Coral life PC lights (8 x 65w) - 4x10k, 4xActinic
4 x Current Lunar - 2 Blue & 2 White
250+lbs of LR
Argonite substrate
Current Livestock:
Wrasses
- 6-7" Aust. Harlequin Tusk
- 8" Red Sea Green Bid Wrasse
- 6-7" Red Coris Wrasse
Tangs
- 9" Male Blond Naso Tang w streamers
- 6" Yellow Tang
Angels
- 3-4" Flame Angel
- 5" Majestic Angle
Damsels
- 4-5" Maroon Clown
- 2 x Domino Damsels
- 2 x 4 Stripe Damsels
- Azure Damsel
- Yellow Belly Damsel
- 4" Blue Velvet Damsel
- Fiji Blue Devil Damsel
Eel
- 30+" SFE
Here's my tank from a few months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsi3Omvf6-w

95harley

OK, now we can get started.
First off I KNOW I need to upgrade my lights. I'm thinking 4 MH's surrounded by Actinic Blue T5's.
I need to know how many, set-up, watts, and/or good brands.
By the way I currently have a canopy on this tank with an open back. So I can use a retro fit or remove it and hang a single unit from the roof (I have a drop ceiling downstairs).
Let's start here for now.
1. Next will be Livestock that will have to go up for sale.
2. Then we will get into restacking LR.
3. Any additional HW I might need.
4. New Livestock.
5. And Finally Corals that will work (or to start with for a beginner)

kylev

cant really help much but am curious as to how your success is with dragon moray's/SFE and smaller fish, Im looking to set up a 280 and wanted to have an eel but decided not to cause i didnt want my smaller fish to be dinner
good luck on your conversion

spanko

I say look into some nice T5 retrokits. Sunlight supply TEK are nice.8" bulbs so 2 fixtures along the lenth and then I would say 6 bulbs on each side front to back. That would allow you to keep anything you wanted coral wise in the tank.
You know the angels have to go correct?

moondog

I am sooo jealous of those dimensions Harley, that is the exact tank I would like to set up. I am in Southern MD, about an hour from Baltimore, so if you need some help or ideas someday let me know. I am striving for a reef, mostly softies, GSP, Shrooms, & Zoa's, so if you need some cheap frags, let me know when you get this thing cycled and up and going. I used to frequent House of Tropicals, which is up by BWI, they used to have some pretty nice livestock, but I have not been up there for a while. Good luck with the conversion.
Chris

95harley

So I was thinking 4 MH's (one over each panel section / opening), then either T5's or VHO's Actinic's around the front and back the length of the tank. So that would be 8 - 18" bulbs.
Now the question is who make's good MH's and how much wattage to use? Retro fits would work correct?
Then T5's or VHO's? Any size, wattage, or brand preference I should look at.

95harley

Originally Posted by Moondog
http:///forum/post/3219006
I am sooo jealous of those dimensions Harley, that is the exact tank I would like to set up. I am in Southern MD, about an hour from Baltimore, so if you need some help or ideas someday let me know. I am striving for a reef, mostly softies, GSP, Shrooms, & Zoa's, so if you need some cheap frags, let me know when you get this thing cycled and up and going. I used to frequent House of Tropicals, which is up by BWI, they used to have some pretty nice livestock, but I have not been up there for a while. Good luck with the conversion.
Chris
Chris, I live about 5-10 miles from House of Tropicals. I might take you up on the help, this being my first attempt at Reef I'm some what lost.
The tank is already cycled as it has been up and running for a few years now. Freshwater from 2004-2007 and Saltwater FOWLR 2007-present.
I figured I would sell my current livestock that needs to go, and start fresh with a little redecoration of the 200-300lbs of LR (God knows I dread it).

king_neptune

Goodbye angels.
Also what is your calculated turnover in your DT?
20x minimum.
50x optimum
(these are general guidelines, not solid....just something to shoot for) But at a glance your turnover didn't look much past 15x
Lighting,
I found some LED's that might be worth looking into. Its on a certain auction site that most people go to. Key words:
"aquarium Coral Reef Tank High Power LED Grow Light 120W"
Someone hear on SWF got himself a trio of these lights for $300 each, and has been speaking very highly. I would estimate you need 4 for your tank. But if you are considering getting new lights anyways, this might be a viable option. The world of LED for aquarium has been pretty much un-touchable for the general population because most people cant drop 4k on lights.
Im getting my self one of these next week, if I like them(and im counting on it) Ill get 2 more for my 125DT.
Imagine growing better(arguably) than people with MH's, at a fraction of the electric bill, and overall long term reduction of cost since bulbs last 10 years(and then only lose about %25 power)
If more comes to mind, Ill let you know.

king_neptune

WOW, I just watched your video, that is a massive eel!
Consider his size when you start putting in frags, he might cause trouble with damaged goods.

gc1962

I would say give the flame angel a shot many people including myself has these in reefs with no problem at all, that is one beautiful healthy looking fish that I personally would let stay and see what happens. I know all angels are hit or miss but this seems to be one species that works well with reefs. I do know the majestic would have to go though. Good luck and your off to a fantastic start.

moondog

As long as you do your research, and listen to these guys and gals on this site, you should be fine. Everytime I have had any doubt or question as to what I was doing, I look here for the answer. 9 times out of 10 your question has already been answered previously on this site.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/3219007
Now the question is who make's good MH's and how much wattage to use?

Id do at least 250's, but you could do 400's, if you went the MH route. You got the volume/depth to get away with 400's. But your corals closer to the top would have to be chosen with a little more care so they don't get burned.
I don't have a brand I like, just ones I would avoid.
But really do consider LED's if your wallet will let you.

95harley

So after doing some reading I might just go all T5's to keep the temps down.
Was just looking at:
Ice Cap T5 Prewired T5 Retro with 660-009 Ballast w/ 4 - 48" bulbs
Maybe 2 of these would work, one for each side of the tank.

moondog

It's a good start, that is what I like about the T5 retro's, you can always add on. I am running 4X48 on a 30" deep tank, and I will agree that I need more, but when the money starts falling from the sky, I may be able to afford an upgrade. The wonderful thing about the T5's is the fact that they run sooo much cooler, and the bulbs last for a year.

spanko

http:///forum/post/3219144
Was just looking at:
Ice Cap T5 Prewired T5 Retro with 660-009 Ballast w/ 4 - 48" bulbs
Maybe 2 of these would work, one for each side of the tank.
This IMO is the way to go! Many bulb choices to get the color where you want it. Plenty of PAR for the coral, less electricity usage, less heat........just a win!!!!

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/3219144
I just won my auction for my $300 LED array. It should arrive by the end of the week. Ill keep you posted on how effective they are in terms of heat build up, and my initial impressions on how well they light.
Specifications:
LED quantity: 119pcs x 1 Watt LED (71 White + 48 Blue)
LED configuration: BridgeLux 1w/LED
Color: White and Blue mixed, White: 14000K(14000-20000k),
Dimension: 15.75” x 8.38” x 2.80”
2" depth - 1537 Par
12" depth - 423 Par
24" depth - 182 Par
Fish hunter turned me to these lights last week:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...d.php?t=372580
I am approaching with caution, which is why Im getting one array for now. But he said he really digs his, and they have great PAR readings.

spanko

I am surprisd yot did not go with 3 watt LED's. Seems to be the lamp of choice in the DIY world on the other sites.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3220000
I am surprisd yot did not go with 3 watt LED's. Seems to be the lamp of choice in the DIY world on the other sites.
Yes that was indeed something I really heavily considered. Hence my comment about approaching with caution. I posed the exact same question hear was the response:
"The problem with the 1 watt LEDs is you need a huge battery of em to produce the same light as 3 watt LEDs. But here is a brake down you will need 40 3 watt LEDs to make up 1 of these panels. so ya its like having 120 3 watt LEDs with 3 panels and you don't have to do any work."
In a nutshell since they are 1w LED's they give you a massive amount. This compensates to being the equivalent of 40x3 watt LED's per unit. Most people build arrays with 36x3 watt LED's per unit(24white 12blue). This isn't law, but it is the bulk of the DIY projects I see out there.