help me decide on the right kind of skimmer.....

agoutihead

im totally new to skimmers so please bear with me.
im going to do a 75 DT with a 25 gallon sump/fuge
i found these two different kinds of skimmers on saltwaterfish...
they do the amount of gallons i need, and are both under 100 bucks, which is where id like to stay price range.
i def want it to be submersable in the sump....
what is the difference between these two?
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=6
is this one even submersable?
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=6
can anyone reccomend a better/different skimmer?

agoutihead

looking to buy a U tube overflow and a sea squirt for a 75 gallon.
looking to purchase online to save money.
anyone got any places?

ms752

If Your Looking For A Decent Skimmer Thats Pretty Cheap, I Would Go With The Coralife Super Skimmer 125.
Good Luck

joncat24

I wouldnt buy either one of those. In that range the coralife ss125 is the best IMO...would do a nice job on a 75

hifi

The Prizm is a better of the two by far. Im no expert on skimmers but I learned the hard way, when it comes to skimmer's dont cheap out. If you can wait save up & buy a good one like a ASM then wait. I cant comment on the Super Skimmer 125 but I heard they are a good value. I run a bullet injected skimmer & love it, I got it after I tryed to cheap out but I learned.

agoutihead

i checked out the coralife... it might be a bit too high, with a 30inch total clearance
can anyone reccomend one that is shorter? possibly around 20 inches?

hifi

Its a type of impeller on the pump to basicly smash the air bubbles to a smaller more effective size, thats about the just of it without getting into a ton of detail's. There is a mod for the seaclone maxi jet pump to turn it in to needle wheel design. Im told it works well.

agoutihead

what about berlin skimmers and octopus skimmers?
the only thing i really dont like about the octopus is the telescoping riser tube

hifi

I cant comment on berlin but I was considering one & had researched them & I havent heard anything bad about them. I think it would be better then the ss125. & the octopus, I have never heard anything about them at all. Hopefully someone with experance with the skimmers you listed can better describe them, & advise you better. The rule to follow with skimmers is you get what you pay for. I think the berlin would be a good starter, & not break the bank. I started with a seclone 150 & it did work no doubt there but it was picky & I cant see a 150 effectively skimming a 150g tank, althou I know some would argue, the first clue is the cup is well just a cup!! Anyway I ended up with a $1000 skimmer set up & love it, I was like you & didn't have & didn't want to spend a ton but once you know how important the skimmer is to a tank thats when you come to terms with spending more $. Do lots of research
. There will more people to help you out on here.

joncat24

the octopus needlewheel and recirc skimmers are rated high. I have never used one but the other forum , people speak very highly of them. And there is a mod you can do to the needlewheel to improve performance. I looked at all orf them and I still think the etss is the best one....which is why I bought one. But it is about twice what you are looking to spend. On the other hand though, it is probably the one most important piece in your system.
Just read and read and research and you will find one that fits your size and budget requirements.