Help me find the right college, I give up

rudedog40

Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Steeped in tradition, big in sports (12th Man in Football, decent basketball program, always in the College Baseball playoffs).
College Station not that big of a town (Dixie Chicken baby!)
Very good Engineering program. Wanna be a veterinarian? Probably the best school in the nation for that.
Got a urge to server your country? Join the Corps.
Gig Em' Aggies!!

reefraff

Seems to me your priorities are flipped here. You need to figure out a couple different majors you would like to have then look for the best education possible. Being in a place that will offer a atmospere you will be comfortable with is certainly important but you really want to get a good education.
If Zoology is your interest you should look at the schools with a well respected program and choose the one the fits in best with the atmosphere you want. Don't pick a school with a halfazzzd programs just because it has a good sports program and is in a cool area.
Good luck

nina&noah

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2539549
Seems to me your priorities are flipped here. You need to figure out a couple different majors you would like to have then look for the best education possible. Being in a place that will offer a atmospere you will be comfortable with is certainly important but you really want to get a good education.
If Zoology is your interest you should look at the schools with a well respected program and choose the one the fits in best with the atmosphere you want. Don't pick a school with a halfazzzd programs just because it has a good sports program and is in a cool area.
Good luck
Sorry to lecture you, but I have to agree here. College sports programs have good years and bad years. I should know, I am a University of Miami alumni. We went from unbeatable to unranked in a few short years. I completely understand wanting to have a great college experience. I met my husband at UM and I am a loyal season ticket holder. However, college is about THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. You can't sacrifice the education you will recieve for the atmosphere of the school. You are talking about 4 years. Remember that when you are searching for a school. You need to ask yourself...."What do I want to do with my life? Which school will help me achieve that?" For example, while I really dislike Texas A&M ( I grew up in Texas), I would have to agree that they have one of the best vet. programs in the nation. So if I wanted to be a vet. I would have gone there. Again, sorry to lecture you. Good luck in your search.
GO CANES!!! ( I had to throw that in there!)

L

lsu

No matter what the rest of the guys say on here, SEC= Hot Chicks, sounds like an answer. LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, even Florida- super hot girls. Everybody likes a southern gal and for good reason. Also the best Greek system in the country. I recommend DKE. And sports dominance (suck it ohio).

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by LSU
http:///forum/post/2540145
No matter what the rest of the guys say on here, SEC= Hot Chicks, sounds like an answer. LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, even Florida- super hot girls. ).

Can't argue with you there, however the 4 southern schools in the PAC-10 blow the SEC and anywhere else away (UCLA, USC, ASU, and U of A), unfortunately the Northern schools are a bit more "earthy" in the PAC-10, I know as I went to U of Washington.

I think ASU requires a photo on their admissions applications

reefraff

Well I suppose if your motive behind school is to party and chase girls while draining mommy and daddy's bank account.

reefraff

Speaking of college sports NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY in the nation had more fun last year than Appalation State fans. I lived in the city where the University of Montana is, AA school. Pretty intense support there for the teams. Unless you want to be a lawyer or zombitized tree hugger I don't suggest the school
Just an example that some of the smaller schools can be fun too.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2540223
Well I suppose if your motive behind school is to party and chase girls while draining mommy and daddy's bank account.
Says the guy with the Bud-Man avatar

I think college can be fun while still getting a good education.

reefraff

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2540237
Says the guy with the Bud-Man avatar

I think college can be fun while still getting a good education.
Ahhh but I am a wiley old fart who has decads of experience in the real partying world.
Some of those Ivy League schools have some serious partying too.

crimzy

My alma matter, University of Michigan has a lot to offer. Good sports, great education, very cool city. It's big enough to find your nitch, whether you will be a frat guy or an independant. There is a lot to offer for everyone.
Not to mention that you can have a good time there while getting an education and setting yourself up for a bright future.
It's also close enough to home that you could go home for weekends/holidays pretty easily but far enough that you won't have surprise visits from mom and dad.

S

scorpiojkd

You have perfectly described Indiana University - Bloomington (the main campus).

stdreb27

Originally Posted by touchthesky00
http:///forum/post/2538549
hey everyone
im a junior in high school and ive been exhausting myself in this college search process. im just in the steps of finding prospective colleges and visiting them if possible. i cant seem to find the right one. so i though id post here and try to get some input from other people from your experiences with colleges you attended or visitied.
to help i guess ill give a brief description of what im looking for in a college:
campus
-traditional buildings, a lot of open area, grass (lol), quads, minimum modern looking buildings
- i hate the city
i wouldnt mind my college being in the middle of nowhere
i want a school where the students are into the sports and have a lot of pride
- an example i like to refer to is penn state football white-outs
size of the school isnt really important but i guess im leaning towards a bigger school
i want a recognizeable school. not one where you tell someone and they have to ask where the heck is it.
a school with big time D1 sports
the things that i stress the most are the traditional campus, NO CITY!, and sport scene
im sorry if this is really confusing
thank you so much if you choose to give me some imput, i greatly appreciate anything!!!

It sounds like you need to go to A&M, in the country, they are nuts about their sports.
but on a more serious note, you need to get your education first. Then find the college that will fit the bill. all the other stuff is just benifits.

T

touchthesky00

ok thanks for all of your input so far. i dont think my priorities are flipped. i put the description of the college i want for you all to help me find one. then i am planning on researching all those colleges for their majors and the quality of education at each school. im sorry if i made it sound like i was basing my decision on whether or not they had a good football team. i want a college atmosphere that is excited and proud of their sports. i also want a more rural campus because i cant stand the city. and isnt a big part of college being comfortable where you are since i will be there for four years.
again thank you all for your input.
i have been visiting colleges also. i just got back from uw-mad, michigan state, and western michigan.
so far id say my top choices so far are Michigan State University and Miami University (Ohio)
they both have nationally ranked zoology programs and i have visited both and they both have beautiful campuses
i am a guy, lol, and i heard somewhere that Miami University (Ohio) has had the title of "Hottest Girls" by Playboy magazine for the past 3 years!

crimzy

Originally Posted by touchthesky00
http:///forum/post/2541533
ok thanks for all of your input so far. i dont think my priorities are flipped. i put the description of the college i want for you all to help me find one. then i am planning on researching all those colleges for their majors and the quality of education at each school. im sorry if i made it sound like i was basing my decision on whether or not they had a good football team. i want a college atmosphere that is excited and proud of their sports. i also want a more rural campus because i cant stand the city. and isnt a big part of college being comfortable where you are since i will be there for four years.
again thank you all for your input.
i have been visiting colleges also. i just got back from uw-mad, michigan state, and western michigan.
so far id say my top choices so far are Michigan State University and Miami University (Ohio)
they both have nationally ranked zoology programs and i have visited both and they both have beautiful campuses
i am a guy, lol, and i heard somewhere that Miami University (Ohio) has had the title of "Hottest Girls" by Playboy magazine for the past 3 years!
I had the opportunity to spend a couple of years at Michigan State. Great place to live. Excellent zoology and veterinary programs. When I was there, the MSU library was ranked by playboy as the best place to pick up girls. And with 45,000 students, there are plenty to choose from.

stdreb27

I still say Texas A&M. They are a city only because of all the students, it is very rural. They have leading nitch programs like marine biology, various agg programs. And they fill up a 80,000 person kyle field for every game. In my mind their culture can rival any school in the nation.

geridoc

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
http:///forum/post/2539018
University of Miami Ohio could fit the bill too. Its got the brick building campus with a college feel. Football (Ben Rothlesburger is an alum) and basketball have some good years but nowhere near the an SEC school. It is also only 5 hours away by car so you can get home for a quick visit easiily.
I was thinking of giving you this same recommendation. My daughter went there, and loved it. It is a lively campus, beautiful and relatively isolated (they call themselves the "bubble in the cornfield). The zoology department is first rate (academics count, too!), and the school is known as a "public ivy", meaning that you get the academics of an ivy league school for the price of a public institution (MUOH is actually a state school, btw). Good luck!

T

touchthesky00

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
http:///forum/post/2539018
University of Miami Ohio could fit the bill too. Its got the brick building campus with a college feel. Football (Ben Rothlesburger is an alum) and basketball have some good years but nowhere near the an SEC school. It is also only 5 hours away by car so you can get home for a quick visit easiily.
*Miami University***
-the other one is in florida, lol.
thanks though, i really do like miami

sciknen

ASU rated number one party school
I think UMass Amherst is up there with them too...i like my school nice small and my rugby team throws all the parties so its pretty sweet.