Help me fix my scratched up glass.

spline9

I just got a used tank, turns out its got some scratches on it. I think it was from the previous owners trying to clean it up some. What would be the best method/product for getting scratches out of glass?

spline9

The scratches are on all sides and vary in depth from light to very deep. I dont think they were paying attention when they were cleaning, especially near the substrate but like I said, the scratches are all over.
I'm going to see if a local glass company can remove them but I have no idea how much that would cost. I may just ask them how much it would cost for replacement panes while I got them on the phone. Maybe DIY (already posted in the DIY forum) a new tank using parts of the old one. All I really want is to replace the sides and front panes. The back and bottom can stay. Think it would be worth it or is it too much trouble?

spline9

55gal.
I only paid $50 for the tank AND stand. Wouldnt mind putting in a couple bux to fix it up some.

spline9

Whats "RR"?
I called a glass company and they didnt do scratch removal. I couldnt contact any other companies since time was limited.
Its a standard 55gal tank. But the thing is I paid $50 for the tank AND stand. I went to see if I could sell the tank to a 1 month old LFS I have good relations with. Maybe he can use it as a breeding tank, LR curing tank, or even sell on consignment for whatever. If I can get like $20-30 off it, then I could just buy a new tank.
So considering all costs if I got $20 for the tank, and a new one runs me $100, that would be $130 total for tank and stand. I dont think thats entirely unreasonable. If I can manage to pull this off, I think it could be worth it.

badkharma

Yes, you could use it as a sump/fuge or even a monster QT (quarantine) tank. Considering the costs of most stands nowadays, shelling out $150 for a new tank AND a stand is not unreasonable at all.

spline9

Yeah, that sounds like my most reasonable option. Although I dont have the space for 2 55gal tanks considering I'm practically shoehorning in just one.
So, if I just take all the stuff in my 29gal tank and move it into the 55... Just add some more water and LS, will this cause another cycle? I'm hoping the tank will just act like it was just a large water change. Heh.
BTW, the tank is not RR.