Help me get rid of micro-brittle stars

narkfish

I have in infestation of micro-brittle stars and have no idea how to get rid of them. Are they good at all or harmful? Is there any way to be rid of them?

raptor72

Ok, here's what you do, gather as many as you can in an airtight bag with SW, place them in a box and mail them to me at 1426 Al.................................. Sorry, couldn't help it. I don't believe you have anything to worry about. I have to drive an hour to buy my bristle stars.

slice

A lot of considerations should be made before a blanket prescription for getting rid of something in your tank, but, having said that, a Sixline Wrasse will turn them into fish poo in no time.

marinebiofreak

Sometimes introducting a harlequin shrimp helps, but they mostly eat Asternias. It's best to just pick them out by hand. If you don't get them out and you have corals they like to hang on to polyps, making it hard for the polyps to open and they will steal food. What also might help is introducting a dottyback or a wrasse - they eat the stars like candy. Before paying for another fish though, I would ask the local fish store guy and see what he has to say - don't want to spend money and then have things not work.

T

tyler70

I have them everywhere and they are hurting my leather coral. They eat it in the "armpits" at night. I have a bicolor dottyback, harliquin shrimp, sixline wrasse, and one other wrasse but theyre not helping. They are definitly not good in my tank! has anyone actually sucessfully got rid of them.

raptor72

Even though this thread is a year and a half old, what the heck, I'll bite.
Why do you say that they are not good for your tank? They are scavengers and eat detritus and any other leftovers.