Help Me Id Please?????

mrinelfrlz

this stuff is in my parents 20 gallon tank that has been up for alittle over a year and it just showed up recently and has been growing pretty fast my mother likes it but im skeptical about it
good
or bad
?
i went over and took some pics today and its grown since ive been there last week
thanks for the help

tdog7879

not really sure look like some type of feather culpra but you got alot of aptasia in there. Sorry im non spelling dude

zshain012

IMO feather caulerpa. If you like the appearance I would keep it. But it could become a nuissance "weed" and spread everywhere, so you can prune them if desired. They lower nitrates in the water though. You could take it out and put them in your refugium if you have one

mrinelfrlz

thanks for the quick response ZShain012 and tdog7879

just glad to know they arent harmful if kept under control

spanko

I battled Caulerpa for months and months. It continues to grow out after you pull it from the little runners it leave in the rock. It will also get to a point where it will send out spores and turn the water extremely cloudy and then it will be everywhere. Do some searching on here and in Google and you will see it is very nasty stuff.
Also there is a lot of Aiptasia there already and it will continue to proliferate and take over the tank. It has a strong sting and will overrun just about anything. Do some searching here and on Google to find out about both of these things and how to get rid of them.

mantisman51

I actually bought some of this. The place I bought it said it was fern caulerpa. They warned that I would need to keep it thinned down or it would take over. Geez, my yellow tang finished it off in less than a week. I got it to help keep the protein down.
If you don't have a yellow tang, get one he even cleaned out the green and red grape caulerpa, I now know is not so good, either.

mrinelfrlz

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2856295
I battled Caulerpa for months and months. It continues to grow out after you pull it from the little runners it leave in the rock. It will also get to a point where it will send out spores and turn the water extremely cloudy and then it will be everywhere. Do some searching on here and in Google and you will see it is very nasty stuff.
Also there is a lot of Aiptasia there already and it will continue to proliferate and take over the tank. It has a strong sting and will overrun just about anything. Do some searching here and on Google to find out about both of these things and how to get rid of them.
your right i need 2 go over and use my joes joice my moms been trying to get me to get rid of them just havent had time lol
it works pretty good in mine

so maybe i better get them out before all h@!! breaks out
hay how do you think these things will do in my sump do they need alot of light?
Originally Posted by mantisman51

http:///forum/post/2856337
I actually bought some of this. The place I bought it said it was fern caulerpa. They warned that I would need to keep it thinned down or it would take over. Geez, my yellow tang finished it off in less than a week. I got it to help keep the protein down.
If you don't have a yellow tang, get one he even cleaned out the green and red grape caulerpa, I now know is not so good, either.
i would love to get them a tang but unfortunately its a 20 gallon not near enough room

veni vidi vici

Caulerpa mexicana is what it is.I had it in my refugium and it grows like wildfire.Nothing eats it and if not pruned it will overtake everything.If this caulerpa goes sexual it will cause you some major problems.

mrinelfrlz

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2856755
Caulerpa mexicana is what it is.I had it in my refugium and it grows like wildfire.Nothing eats it and if not pruned it will overtake everything.If this caulerpa goes sexual it will cause you some major problems.
everything is pointing to BAD

well it wont make my mom happy but its all coming out!

zshain012

cool. A more natural way to remove the aptasia is buying a peppermint shrimp. It doesn't always work but most of the time it does

mrinelfrlz

Originally Posted by ZShain012
http:///forum/post/2856843
cool. A more natural way to remove the aptasia is buying a peppermint shrimp. It doesn't always work but most of the time it does

went over earlier and pulled weeds lol
and did the 1st dose of joes joice man there were alot of those suckers!
i have to buy another bottle!

i will probably be buying some peppermint shrimp for me and my mama