Help Me ID This

jeanacrouch

Hey,
I have this kinda clear to white branching thing coming out of the substrate in my tank. I don't have any clue what it is and as of yet haven't been able to get a good picture because of where it is located in the tank. Any suggestions would be great. I just need a place to start looking to figure out what this is.

jeanacrouch

I don't think it is a spaghetti worm, there are no long tentacles, I will try and get a pic of it, or if anyone has some good ones of spaghetty worms that would help
Also, it looks like it is all over on half of my tank, emerging from the substrate almost looks like a root system, but it's not roots.

spanko

Doubtful it would be sponge coming out of the substrate. Can you get a picture now that it is all over half of your tank?

spanko

Originally Posted by Kelly
http:///forum/post/2878230
White Sponge, Clathrina sp. ?

Yup from the rockwork that is a good call Kelly, but from the substrate is what is confusing me. Maybe the OP is calling the rock substrate too?????

saltn00b

looks like you are running crushed coral, that is leading to nutrient build up, and a good foundation for sponges and hair algae etc to grow on.

jeanacrouch

That's what my LFS told me was the best to run when I originally set up the tank. I want to change it to live sand, but have decided to wait until we move to rearrange everything. It doesn't hurt anything to have the sponge in there right? Also, I just purchased a yellow tang that is supposed to be helping with the hair algae. Any other suggestions.

crabbychris

lawn mower blenny and hermit crabs....also a UV sterilizer helps to kill the fragments that are loose in the tank after you stir it up. i would get a siphon and clean the crushed coral.
Are you using tap water, RO or distilled? tap water will feed this stuff to plague levels.

jeanacrouch

I have about 12 hermits total bluelegged, red legged and a tonga. I have tried a lawnmower blennie, and he never touched the algea. I have been using the tap water, I know it's bad.
I use an additive with the water that is supposed to make it safe for the tank, and remove all the bad stuff. At least that is what the LFS told me when they sold it to me. I think they are the kings of misinformation though. I haven't siphoned the gravel lately, so I will start there. Thanks

jeanacrouch

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2878236
Yup from the rockwork that is a good call Kelly, but from the substrate is what is confusing me. Maybe the OP is calling the rock substrate too?????
I looked a bunch more in the tank, and found a small chunk on the live rock.

crabbychris

Stop using tap water or the problem will NEVER go away! There is NO fix all additive that removes all the harmful stuff from tap water. I would clean up as much of the algae as possible and do a large water change (maybe like 70%) with RO water or Distilled water. This is without a doubt the biggest problem.