Help Me Pick Out a Tang

kevin34

I am trying to complete my fish list and I cant decide on a tang to go along with a barred rabbitfish. I want something very colorful, peaceful, and easy to care for. I would also like something different from the everyday blue hippo and yellow tangs. Anyone have any suggestions?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by Kevin34
I am trying to complete my fish list and I cant decide on a tang to go along with a barred rabbitfish. I want something very colorful, peaceful, and easy to care for. I would also like something different from the everyday blue hippo and yellow tangs. Anyone have any suggestions?

If I could I would love to have a NASO or Purple Tang,, just awesome.

bill109

atlatic blue tang or Palani Tang very nice IMO
or a yellow belly hippo tang (is tht what they are called?)

kevin34

Originally Posted by petjunkie
What size tank? I love koles personally, or flame tip tominis.
Its a 125

kevin34

Originally Posted by bill109
atlatic blue tang or Palani Tang very nice IMO
or a yellow belly hippo tang (is tht what they are called?)
I have never seen a yellow belly hippo tang before? Do you have any info on them?

bill109

I have never seen a yellow belly hippo tang before? Do you have any info on them?
its the same as the blue tang but they have a yellow belly.
let me get u a quick picture or 2 lol

ifirefight

Originally Posted by bill109

there are some pics of the yellow belly for ya!

How bigs your tank Bill?? That5s a lot of Blue Tangs.

kevin34

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I would definatly pick the red sea purple tang thats my second favorite fish ever.
I have been told that purples are very aggressive and should be the very last fish added to the tank. Is that true? If not then I would def go with a purple.

ifirefight

I have been told that purples are very aggressive and should be the very last fish added to the tank. Is that true? If not then I would def go with a purple.
I have a purple....he is a PITA... He bullies the other fish at feeding time,/////anytime I approach the tank he thinks its feedin time, hes such a spaz he darts all over the tank....knocking corals and anything else thats not bolted down, off the rockwork... butr other than all that hes awsome.

dogstar

Of all my tangs, I like my Sailfin the best. IMO,IME, this Genus is the most hardiest of the tangs and this species is the easiest of tangs to keep. Its not an aggressive fish, It has the best personality and is not as skidish as the others and always out and about and active. It will come and feed from my hand. It is my favorite fish I have kept from when I started the hobby over 5 years ago and this is one of the first fish I got and still have it, Its like family now.

reefkprz

unfortunatly it is true they are very dominant fish, and do best when added last.

kevin34

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Of all my tangs, I like my Sailfin the best. IMO,IME, this Genus is the most hardiest of the tangs and this species is the easiest of tangs to keep. Its not an aggressive fish, It has the best personality and is not as skidish as the others and always out and about and active. It will come and feed from my hand. It is my favorite fish I have kept from when I started the hobby over 5 years ago and this is one of the first fish I got and still have it, Its like family now.
How big is your sailfin? I heard they get too big for a 125.

dogstar

How big is your sailfin? I heard they get too big for a 125.
Its around six inches. It grows fast when young but the growth rate is slowed as they get older. I am not saying that a 125 is too small or big enough, your call, and am glad that you are takeing tank size into consideration....you tank is six foot long right, some people say thats all thats required....I didnt see in your first post that you had a 125, I do see where you posted that later thogh......might be wise to not get one if thats your feeling....I normally try not to be a Tang Police but will say something if a tank is rediculusly small...
Btw, I also have a 5'' Purple that I have had for nearly just as long. It is a psycho and very territorial....however it does not mess with the Sailfin...if you go for a Purple, make sure it looks and acts very healthy.....many develop HLLE in captivity because they are always seemingly '' on edge '' IMO.
Im not saying that all Sailfins and Purples are going to act like mine do...just letting you know how mine are...
Heres some shots of both of mine..

kevin34

My tank is 6 feet long and the only other larger tang-sized fish I plan on having is a barred rabbitfish. Do you think it will have enough room? There will also be several other smaller fish such as clowns, jawfish, dwarf angel, and a fairy wrasse. Thanks for the info.