Help me please the wife!!!!

big

OK, the wife has decided she wants a PRETTY clam.
I only have 4 - 96 watts on my 72 bow, but I can use a high spot in the tank.............Which real colorful one do I stand the best chance with to make her happy????? !!! Thanks all................ big

dina12

I totally agree - I don't think any of them are pretty. Being a wife myself, I would be happy with a beautiful coral or a new really colorfull fish. My husband just bought me a new Bubble Coral and it made me happy as a clam. No pun intended of course.

big

Well then the best I can do is have her read the posting!!! The problem was a 18 year old at one of the LFS's told her today she could have one, with the 380 some watts
( when they where new) I have in our tank!............Thanks....Warren

candycane

I have kept Derasa and Squamosa Clams under less then 5 watts per gallon of PC lighting. Each one was under this lighting for about a year. Then they got large and I had to give them away. I'm not recommending that you try it, but if you are determined, you might want to read up on those two clams.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by candycane
I have kept Derasa and Squamosa Clams under less then 5 watts per gallon of PC lighting. Each one was under this lighting for about a year. Then they got large and I had to give them away. I'm not recommending that you try it, but if you are determined, you might want to read up on those two clams.
those are lower light clams but not very attractive

candycane

Matter of opinion I guess. Derasa clams are decent looking, however I find Squamosa clams to probably be my 2nd choice for coloration and markings.

reefkprz

I seriously think the watts per gallon rule should be changed to watts per distance... gallons can be deceptive as if something is 10" from a 25watt light it gets way more light than something 24 inches from it. red spectrum light does not penetrate water well thats why water looks blue or green, because blue spectrum light travels further in water than red. its like saying something in a 20g double high under 50 watts on bottom is getting the same light as something in a 20g reg on bottom, or for that matter a 20 long. in a 20 long its getting about 40 watts on bottom in the 20 reg its getting about 30 watts in the 20 double high its getting maybe 15 watts of usable photosynthetic light.
but enough about that I have a maxima in a 45g high on the sand under 500 watts of PC light. I'm not going to say yes or no because I am not a clam expert. IMO if you were to get a crocea and kept it way to the top maybe the more important thing is has your tank been set up long enough? I suggest waiting at least one year from set up.