Help Me! Pretty Please? I'll

imurnamine

Okay.
I just got a 72 Gallon bowfront.
It is 48 inches across the top.
It is 22 inches deep, from very tip top to very bit bottom.
I am VERY interested in having this as a reef tank.
I want things like Bubble tips, Conde (sp?), Brains, and Carpets... I know nothing of reef... stuff.
I was looking at a Jebo Power Compact with 260 Watts; it also has Moonlights and a fan, stand legs, etc.
Yey or nay?
Educate me, O wise ones.
Ohhh

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
Okay.
I just got a 72 Gallon bowfront.
It is 48 inches across the top.
It is 22 inches deep, from very tip top to very bit bottom.
I am VERY interested in having this as a reef tank.
I want things like Bubble tips, Conde (sp?), Brains, and Carpets... I know nothing of reef... stuff.
I was looking at a Jebo Power Compact with 260 Watts; it also has Moonlights and a fan, stand legs, etc.
Yey or nay?
Educate me, O wise ones.
Ohhh
The ONLY thing Jebo makes that are acceptable are LIGHTS,, the rest is real CRAP! I have the 24" Jebo PC's work excellent,,, SO FAR!!!! GOOD LUCK!

squishy

Not sure how fancy of reef u want but it usally starts simple then expands. My req would be aqua medic 250watt mh. do 2 pendants 10k and one pendant 20k. Or does your tank have a plastic strap across the middle or is it glass if it is plastic do the 2 250 package with the 2 54watt T5. That is what I have on my tank right now. hope this helps

imurnamine

Sorry, that last comment was for MiaHeatLvr.
Wow, what a gorgeous tank!
See, I'm kind of on a $200 and less budget. My tank DOES have the plastic strip down the middle. I didn't want a top; I wanted something with just the legs so that a top would not be necessary. Also, since we are renting this house, I can't suspend anything from the ceiling...
The 260w Jebo PC I'm looking at is going to be around $120, with $20 more for shipping...

squishy

I started out with the corallife lights bulit in moon lights and the works Right around the 200 mark. Could not compain had soft corals and a bubble tip. Don't know much about the Jebo though.

squishy

a little rule I found on the net: The Reef System Wattage Rule of Thumb Formula
The general rule of thumb for a reef system calls for 3 to 5 watts per actual gallonage of water. A classic example of this is best visualized using the industry standard, a 55 gallon glass aquarium.
Using the above "Rule" this reef should have a minimum of 165 watts to 275 watts in order to provide the intensity necessary for photosynthesis to take place within marine organism's polyps or tissues. Here are few more examples of reef system wattage requirements using the "Rule".

imurnamine

Well...
I plan to have at least a 2 inch sand bed, maybe even 3. With water displacement from the sand and live rock, what do you think...?

imurnamine

I want to make sure I get the right kind of lighting before I buy an anemone and kill it because of insufficient lighting.

miaheatlvr

I want to make sure I get the right kind of lighting before I buy an anemone and kill it because of insufficient lighting.
Here is my BADBOY! hes about a year old gets bigger and bigger and eats like crazy and chills right near the TOP! i have jebo 24" 130w PC's, Like i said the only thing Jebos make acceptable are lights!! LOL ALSO Check out my XENIA,, Growing like crazy!! GOOD LUCK!

miaheatlvr

Ohhh la la!
So you think it's a good idea for me?
You should be alright, your gonna get a 70g with 260w,, thats almost 4w a gallon for you anemone,, you should be good,,, Plus he will move where he wants to be,, so If he wants he might make his way to the top of the tank,, Like mine! Good Luck!

hot883

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Here is my BADBOY! hes about a year old gets bigger and bigger and eats like crazy and chills right near the TOP! i have jebo 24" 130w PC's, Like i said the only thing Jebos make acceptable are lights!! LOL ALSO Check out my XENIA,, Growing like crazy!! GOOD LUCK!
Looks like he is really reaching for light there. Looks to be almost out of the water.

tx reef

I would not put any anemone under 260 watts of PC. There is a chance he will "survive" under this lighting, but why risk it?
With those lights, you would be limited to soft corals and LPS.