Help me set up my new tank

lagatbezan

Hi, I juts got a new 240g tank and need some help setting it up!
the tank is a 240g acrylic room divider with a center overflow witch has 2 bulkheads-each 1.5" one being the drain and the other being the return( drilled in the bottem of the tank in the center). the tank has a sump under the stand which is about 30 g.
I am wondering how much flow do i get out of a 1.5" bulkhead to the sump? I'm looking for a return pump but i don't want to get one thats too powerful that won't handle my bulkheads.
thanks.

robchuck

With 1-1/2" bulkheads and using Durso standpipes, you could probably easily flow 2500-3000 gallons through both bulkheads (1250-1500 each; conservative estimate).
However, with only using a 30g sump, I would be a bit concerned with pusing that much flow through your sump. Microbubbles would likely be an issue and the water would be flowing more quickly than the skimmer or other equipment would be able to process it. Using a larger sump would lessen the impact of some of these problems.
By the way, congrats on the new tank!

lagatbezan

thanks RobChuck, but I only have 1 drain bulkhead not two. there are a total of two bulkhead-one for return and one for drain. so i'm assuming that i would have a flow of about 1250-1500 g/h. is this sufficent?(hope so). Also, since the tank is drilled on the bottom, do i still need to use a Durso standpipe? What does it exactly do?
thanks.