Help me stock my 90 FOWLR

algaepad

Hey guys,
Just converted a long time reef to FOWLR. Please give me some ideas of a high quality mix of fish that you would go with to stock a 90 if you were starting out from scratch and dont concern yourself with price. The only fish that I really want to make sure I get is a snowflake eel so everything must be compatible with it.
Thanks in advance for the ideas!

garnet13aj

SFE aren't fish eaters by nature (not that rules can't be broken) but I have mine housed w/ocellaris clowns right now, it's more important to keep them well fed. What kind of fish are you looking for, color, size, shape, and personality-wise?

cveverly

I agree with garnet13aj that the sky is pretty much the limit with your snowflake. The factors would be the personality and colors you are looking for. You will need to be concerned about the size of the fish when it is an adult with a 90 gallon tank. So you may want to stay away from groupers, large angels, tangs and etc. The other concern is the ability of your system to process the waste. Some fish are not as tolerant to nitrates so you may not want to stock them with fish that produce a lot of waste.

algaepad

i am really looking to go with a community tank. Really looking to get a nice mix of colors and obviously wanting to keep everything compatible.

sharkboy13

qwll after its fairly established (5-6mos) i would say gor for a pair of copperband butterflies, in the mean time go w/ a triplet of evansi anthias, a yellow tang, maybe two or three carpenter flasher wrasses (1 male 2 fem) maybe a jackknife fish after awhileand maybe a couple of nice purple firefish, and a couple of banggai cardinals

wanabebell

tangs and firefish generally dont do well to gether the tang can be a bully to firefish and it will also out compete them for food

mattp098

algaepad, your username is cool!
I disagree with the others about tangs. For the most part they are peaceful towards other fish. Since you want to go with color... tangs, angels, and butterflies will be great! Also, you said you want a "mix" of color, so I wouldn't get a pair of any of the larger fish, like the butterflies. One of different species will give you the most variety, since you only have 90 gallons to work with. To get a bright red in my tank, I always go with a flame angel. I haven't found another fish with such a bright red color. Same thing with the Regal Blue tang, an awesome, unbeatable bright blue color. You'll find the right fish that stands out to you.
Let me know how it goes with your snow flake eel... I was thinking of getting one for my 125 gal.