Help me trim down a cleaner crew for my 75

zanemoseley

Ok my 75 is almost up and running, I'm filling it up with RO/DI water and ordering my LR. I need to trim down my cleaner package to about $75-85, I'm gonna have 80lb of dead aragonite sand, 60lb of dead Hawaiian rock, 25lb of Caribbean LR, and 20lb of Marshall Is. LR, after the cycle the first inhabitant will be 1 True Perc. clown, here's what I've picked out so far, I thought about using only blue legs instead of the scarlets but I figured they would eat the snails, also do I need any starfish
2 Aquarcultured fighting conches $13.78
20 Scarlet Hermits $39.94
5 Peppermint Shrimp $17.99
10 Cerith snails $20
20 Nassarius Snails $25
Total is about $110
I think I can remove the Cerith snails but I wanna know what everyone thinks.

dad

Looks good to me. You may concider a coral banded shrimp?
I am not much on peppermint shrimps, ;)

zanemoseley

well see the thing is I need to trim down the price to about $80, if I get a CBS than I believe he will eat all other shrimp such as pepperimint shrimp

dad

Why not no peppermints, a coralBS, and 5 ceriths?
Just my 2 cents worth
This will get the price around $80!

balashark21

drop the peps cuz they dont do much anyways. get only about 5-10 nass snails( they are only good for eating leftovers not for cleaning sand bed or rocks) and DEFINATLY get some turbo snails or you will have a nasty brown algea on your glass that you have to clean everyday. turbo snails are very helpfull. cerith snails are good, fighting conches are GREAT. you could go with the bluelegs, they will kill eachother and sails ONLY if you dont give them proper growout shells. scarlets dont work very hard IME. that should drop the price plenty

cordell

how many turbos, ceriths, and fighting conchs? I need to be doing the same thing sometime soon... with my 75

dad

Actually, If it was me and I was ordering:
I would get the 20-55g package here. I would also add a small sand sifting starfish.
Every tank is different and needs different crews.
Just my opinion, :)

balashark21

sry to disagrea dad but honestly the blue leg hermits wil just end up killing the reds. so the reef pkg's here are a waste of money and also starfish are completly unexeptable in a system that young

dad

well I just post what I would do. No hard feeling at all though.
I bought the same crew (but it had 1 brittle star and a cucumber) three years ago. I still have around 6 scarlets, 6 bluelegs, and the sandstar still with me. That is after two crashes and a move, lol
Maybe luck? I dunno?
Like I said "If it was me"

zanemoseley

so how bout this
2 Aquarcultured fighting conches $13.78
20 Scarlet Hermits $39.94
10 Cerith snails $20
20 turbo snails $20
total comes to about $90
do I have to have nassarius snails because they way they price them it would be better for me to just get some later
I'm just gonna go with the reds and get more if I need them cause i don't want tons of growout shells all around my tank and I don't want them eating thte $2 apiece snails

balashark21

sounds good. wait till you get fish to get the nass. they are just scavengers and will starve to death if you dont feed them. they eat leftovers. very usefull if you overfeed your tank.