help me-urgent!

ok, so i came home and my tank was running at 86 degrees! i live in florida, and i cant afford a chiller. i think this is the source of my diatom problems. not good...not good.

bs21

you want to slowly drop the temp. Fish corals etc.... can handle a quick temp increase better than they can handle a quick drop! Now do you have a glass top on the tank or a hood? Also what type of lighting do you have? If you have strong lights and a glass top it may be causing the temp increase so to keep the temp down you can remove the top and replace with light difuser(egg crate) and run a fan over the top. you would have to top off more but better than a really high temp.

A

alexmir

Do you have an automatic heater? one that shuts off at a certain temperature? if not this would be a really important purchase, also, running a fan would help alot. How big is the tank?

alfred30

I live in florida also and what I have to do sometimes is open the back hood, or the front so it vents a little better.

sazarac

I'm having heat issues as well.
What size is your BC and how long has it been setup?
Is it near a window or an outside door? What type of thermometer do you use?
How you tried another one to double check the temp?
Are your critters acting stressed?
Run the ac and keep the room temp down.
Cut your photo period to 8 hours.
Make sure your heater isn't sticking.
Make sure your hood fans are working.
Open both lids (if you have 2) but watch your evaporation.
And as everyone say, try a fan. A clip on, or a pedestal.
But keep an eye on that water level!
bigarn is right, heat doesn't cause diatoms.
Saz
Originally Posted by Cherish life.
http:///forum/post/2569762
ok, so i came home and my tank was running at 86 degrees! i live in florida, and i cant afford a chiller. i think this is the source of my diatom problems. not good...not good.