Help Me!

jessica47421

i know the bigger you get the easier they are to take care of............that being said this is not a hobby to really get into if you dont have the $$$$$$ to back it up. it is hard to predict what ur going to spend bc things come up and you have to go purchase them. but it is extremely fun and interesting to get into. i have sure learned ALOT. this is a great place to learn alot of knowledgable ppl on here.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
20g. My first tank was a 135 gallon...

I envy you.
- that will be all.
(my tank is a 44
thats like nano for you)

ice4ice

If this is your first try with saltwater, I'd start with a 46G or even a 55G tank. Water stabilization & parameters are much easier to maintain as opposed to a 20G tank. Smaller tanks = high maintenance; especially for a beginner.
You really can't put a set price on a salt water setup. So much is in factor here - proper equipment, LR/LS, QT tank setup, livestock, salt water mix, test kits, variety of fish food, etc ... This is an expensive hobby that can run you hundreds, if not , thousands of dollars.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by lil' tanker
thanks but does anyone have a price estimate?
Go with the a nanocube,, good all around starter tank, with everything included. You probably can get the tank set up sand and live rock for about $500, USUALLY local fish stores will sell all-inclusive COMBOS with everything you need to get started, ALWAYS go with the biggest tank you can afford and maintain properly! Good Luck.

lexluethar

Easily thousands of dollars.
But it sounds like your worried about money, so i would go with the 20 gallon. Just get one or two SMALL fish and try it out. I think that people starting out with smaller tanks learn more about the hobby, and even though mistakes in smaller tanks cause greater damage, there are less living things to kill. So if you mess up in a 20 gallon, you may be out a hundred bucks b/c of fish or some zoes. IF you mess up in a 80 gallon tank you are looking at a couple hundred dollars worth.
Just my opinion. Start slow and small because i GURANTEE you will spend more money than you will realize, and that factor is just compounded when you have a big setup. Although everyone is right in saying larger tanks are easier to maintain because of stability in water parameters. Read up on the hobby, crunch some numbers and see how much things will cost you.
I would guess that just a 20 gallon setup will cost you a few hundred. LR, fish, salt, proper equipment, etc.

kclester

im a broke college student and i got started for a pretty cheap price 29gal tank with hob filter...heater...basic lights and hood 90 bucks at walmart....not bad..............me and my grandpaw built a homemade stand 7 bucks for paint and hinges....lumber was free.....bag of salt good for 55 gallons 25 bucks.....sand 40 pounds 30 bucks...i bag of live sand one bag of play sand loks really nice....refractometer 30 $ or you could get a hydrometer they arent as good but it will give u a ball park estimate about 10-12 bucks test kits for ammonia,nintrites,nitrates and ph you can find them for about 10$ each its cheaper to get them all together power heads i got 2 penquin 660's for 40$ and i think this will be enought to get you STARTED i got about 250 in mine right now....im just getting started tho...so it will cost a lil bit but they are small ways to cut corners

kclester

cant beleive i 4got the most important thing LR lol it will run you i the range from 5 -7 bucks a pound you should have about 1 pound per gallon but if you can find the bigger pieces of rock with alot of holes in it they weigh less and take up more space so keep that in mind

skipperdz

look online here in the classifieds section..you can get discounted tanks/stands/canopies/sumps/refuges anything u need. heck you can even get fish/corals and inverts from people here on this site

cjason3041

i have spent WAAAY too much...easily thousands. both big tanks and nano...my 29G nano is easily 3500 dollars.......it will add up faster than you can imagine

college kid

SW tanks are money eaters! You will never be happy something is always better out there. Need good lights if you want corals, $200-700. Filters $200. Protien skimmer $200 dollars. UV sterilizer $150. Noticing a trend yet. Live Sand and sand $100. Live rock $400. Fish food $100. Salt $50. Chemical, meds, and other misc (that you probly didn't need but looked like a good idea anyways) $100. (noticing a trend yet) Tank and Stand $200. Watching your CBS chase your watchman goby 24/7 from one end of the tank to the other, priceless.
Some things money can buy, for everything else there's saltwater mastercard.

peef

I have to agree with the fact that it is going to cost a lot no matter what. I have my 24g nano with about 1/4 of what I want and can put in as far as coral and I have invested around 1800 already. That price rises every day. Go nano for sure if you want a tank that doesn't look empty and crappy. My 1800 would barely even scratch the surface of a nice looking say 55g tank.

ufo8micats

bigger is always better, but definately not cheaper. If you pay attention to the local gargage sales you can get good deals on whole set ups.
I bought a 55 gal fully set up marine aquarium for 75$.
goes to show you that one mans trash is another mans treasure.