Help MH Lighting experts...About to spend $$$$

scarybo

I'm getting ready to purchase MH lighting. I need your suggestions since this is a first for me.
Tank Dimensions..36x15x16
Options..
A. 1x175watt MH w/ 2x95 watt VHO
B. 1x250watt MH w/ 2x95 watt VHO (my choice)
C. 2x175watt MH w/ 2x95 watt VHO (last choice..would have to wait due to high cost)
D. keep what you have (4x95 watt VHO) it's enough to keep SPS and CLAMS..
Please everyone give me your opinions because this is the last purchase I can make for awhile and I want it to last me for some time.

scarybo

Richard,
What is the difference in quality between a Ushio, aqualine, hamilton. I have seen your tank and my goal is SPS, like you have, and Clams.

josh

I would also opt for the 250's, I would get 2 250's HQI in pendents. I like sunlight supply reefoptix pendents, very well made and work very well.
Get the AB 10K, they put out a very nice light, very crisp white with only a hint of blue.

scarybo

I thought about that Juggernaut. That is one of the reasons I liked the 1x250. It allows me to upgrade with minimal effort and cost. I would only need to add another 250 MH ballast and lamp. VHO's could be upgraded with only new longer bulbs.
75 gal..2x250MH w/ 2x110 VHO
100 gal..2x250 MH w/ 2x140 VHO
The 2x175 watt MH would give me better coverage in my tank now, but wouldn't work well if I upgraded my tank. Does this make sense or am I missing something.

richard rendos

The Ushio and the AB bulbs are pretty similar in color. The Hamilton seems bluer to me. I think all are good bulbs...I would stay away from Coralife, Sunburst, and Radiums in 250 watt variety.

scarybo

I currently have a VHO full hood. I live close to the manufacter. They will rewire it for me for the cost of parts only. So I am only buying the 250 MH ballast and bulb. If I go bigger in the future I will need to buy a new canopy, But that is an expense I would have anyway.
I figured the 250MH would work ok with the additional 4" of tank height. I had read 250 watt is good up to 24" of tank depth. Above that I would need 400 watt. Is that correct? I wouldnt go deeper than 24 inches. I had a show tank in the past and I needed "monkey" arms to keep it clean.

ironreef

B. All your doing is adding a 250w halide ballast. HQI ? I vote B. even if you don't upgrade tanks you can always add another 250w if you become a sps freak. :)

scarybo

Thanks everyone for the imput. I'm going to get choice B. I really appreciate all the help this board gives.