Help my firefish

landolakes

My firefish was in my tank with my flame hawk and the hawk took out the ends of his tail, now the firefish has been moved to a seperate container(like the kritter keeper things) in another tank to heal up but now he cant swim properly. He is still eating but his back end floats up and he cant really submerge. Tank parameters are
Amm.-o
nitrite-0
nitrate-o
ph-8.3
sal.-1.025
What can I do to save him as he was my first fish 2 years ago? I have no seoerate tank to treat but will set a small one up if someone gives me a sugg. on how.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If he was in a QT, you could administer a mild antibiotic treatment, but in the current situation, you will need to wait and see if fins regenerate. If he is eating, offer meaty foods soaked in fresh garlic juice. Not bottled garlic.

landolakes

He is eating and is he swimming like that because of the lack of fins which are not as far down as the bone, what is the smallest qt tank I can set up for him, I have a couple of 5 gallon tanks that I can use water from my reef which he is in to fill, will that work?

lion_crazz

If he is eating well, use fresh garlic in the food, as well as some vitamin C to help with fin regeneration. Kent makes a product called MarineC which helps fish naturally repair and grow back their fins faster. I would look into doing those two things.
When the fish does grow back his fins though, what are you going to do with him? Why don't you take out the hawk, trade him into the LFS, and put the firefish back into the display so that he does not feel stressed.

landolakes

He is going to go into the reef tank now and since he is already floating in there I figure by the time he is better everyone will be used to him and he them. The hawk will stay in the other tank as long as he does not mess with anyone else.

landolakes

After one day of feeding garlic infused krill pieces my firefish is swimming normal
I will keep him seperare for a week or so to get used to his new tank buddies.