HELP! My Hippo is eating my Pocillopora damicornis Coral

tang_fame

I bought this beautiful coral from the LFS and it was thriving for about a week when I noticed my hippo starting nipping at it constantly
. Now most of the fleshy polyps are gone
of this gem and I have no idea why the hippo finds it so tasty!
Does anyone have a clue why the hippo likes to nip this type of coral? I had another on order but put it on hold with this event!

nycbob

that really sux. when it comes to fish, anything is possible. i wouldnt get another one, unless u remove the hippo.

meowzer

This is another one for all those.....WILL MY fish eat or do questions
The answer....you just never know....it's become more and more apparent that fish will do what THEY want...LOL

spiderwoman

This is just a guess, but I don't think the Hippo killed the SPS. I'd say that RTN (Rapid Tissue Necrosis) is causing the tissue to disappear. Hippo is probably nipping on the algae that is starting to appear on the coral. I've had similar happen.

T

tizzo

Hey spidey, where ya been!?
Anyway, no it's not your hippo. There is flesh missing in places that the hippo couldn't possible reach and there is still some left right there out in the open.
Your coral has RTN'ed.
You should remove it from the tank. If there are any pieces worthe saving, frag it.

+1, Hippo's are not coral eaters, but more of algae eaters. So he is probably nipping at the algae that may be forming on the skeleton of the coral. I have found that algae does form quickly on the skeletal coral remains

aquaknight

Originally Posted by globaldesigns
http:///forum/post/3146395
+1, Hippo's are not coral eaters
Unfortunately many times they are. Hippo tangs are probably the least coral safe tang out there. Many people's Hippos are fine, but plenty have been noted coral munchers and more so clams.
In this particular case it's both. The coral is RTNing, as yes there are places the Hippo can't reach. But as the coral is dying, it's definitely smelling tasty to the Hippo and he's finishing it off.
The Poci looks too large to be aquacultured/raising from a frag, so betting it's a wild collected specimen. Unfortunately with large wild SPS colonies, it's sort of to be expected to loose some of the coral, often times over 65%. You need to frag off the good parts fell and remove the old.

Unfortunately many times they are. Hippo tangs are probably the least coral safe tang out there. Many people's Hippos are fine, but plenty have been noted coral munchers and more so clams.
In this particular case it's both. The coral is RTNing, as yes there are places the Hippo can't reach. But as the coral is dying, it's definitely smelling tasty to the Hippo and he's finishing it off.
The Poci looks too large to be aquacultured/raising from a frag, so betting it's a wild collected specimen. Unfortunately with large wild SPS colonies, it's sort of to be expected to loose some of the coral, often times over 65%. You need to frag off the good parts fell and remove the old.
Here is a link to ***********.com, I use this site as a great reference tool. It supports my comment that they are not coral eaters
here is the link: http://www.***********.com/product/p...330&pcatid=330

T

tizzo

It's no secret that I absolutely despise those docs and everything they try to represent, but any sight that lists the auriga butterfly, the picasso trigger, the raccoon butterfly, a snowflake eel and the solor fairy wrasse as beginner fish, will never be a "reputable source" for info, IMO...
But I am in agreeance that the blue hippos are (generally, commonly and acceptedly) reef safe.

aquaknight

To expand my reply, of course a Hippo Tang and a true coral muncher, say a 18" Queen angel, are obviously very different. Hippo tangs, or more precisely Palette Tangs, typically have a far more diverse diet then your average tang, because they're not your average tang. Yes, algae is primarily what they eat, all tangs, well almost all, are primarily algae. However they definitely consume more then just that if the opportunity arises. A coral on it's last legs, is that chance. They even have their own genus, Paracanthurus, because they don't fit in with the other tangs.
I did not say every Hippo is bound to wreck your reef. I am just saying it's far from an isolated incident, and it's pretty well documented. Tons of links on google;
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hippo+tang+nipping
Can't get more "caught with your hand in the cookie jar" then this;