HELP!! my orange linkia not well!

microman2k

i just checked on my orange linkia...and i noticed an orange string waving with the water current from one of its legs...i guess it is its skin mabey? and then there are 2 holes on it...one at the center disk and one where the orange string of skin is.....whats going on?! it was fine last night i am pretty sure...the only thing i might know that could have done it is my emerald crab...they were together last night when i was feeding...i have seen my emerald pinch my baby serpent before and now he wont come back out...do u think the emerald has done something? i need to know if there is anything i can do quick b/c i am going out of town for a week and i am leaving in an hour or so...but everything in the tank is normal...the parameters are in check...just did a top off a couple days ago...the fish and everything else is fine...thanks for any helP!:notsure: :confused: :nervous:

rook

Well, first if it is in a 29 gallon tank, the tank is too small and it will likely starve for lack of adequate food. Second, have you recently placed it in the tank? If so, it may have aclimation shock. They need a very very slow aclimation around four hours. They also need plenty of liverock for food. A good 100lbs. It appears that the little star may be doomed. Sorry. Did you get this from a LFS, and if so, did they tell you it was okay to put in a 29 gallon, and did they tell you how to aclimate it and take care of it?

microman2k

i have had the star for a couple of months and its been doing great...and i thought that only the blue linkias had to have 100+ lbs of rock? i thought the orange could have less...i have about 40-50lbs in my 29 gallon. i acclimated the star by drip for about 8 hours (overnight...at a VERY slow drip) and i bought it online from this site....i think it might be b/c of my water...i just found my fire shrimp dead too! i have had him for a couple of months too! the only thing that might have done it is that i was neglectful of doing my topoffs so i had quite a large top off i did the other day...6-7 gallons:nervous: i am NEVER letting the top off get out of control that much again!

ophiura

All Linckia, with the exception of Linckia multiflora, need much larger tanks. I am afraid that it might be OK, but it is very marginal in terms of food for it. I would never recommend one for that size tank. However, they are intollerant of sudden fluctuations in pH, salinity, etc...your major top off could most certainly cause severe stress, or even death.