Help: My Reef Devil Skimmer has gone mad

stieger

Hi all,
I have the ETS Reef Devil, and regardless of where I have the bubbles begin in the cylinder leading to the collection cup, it seems to "re-calibrate" itself and begin sending a ton of foam bubbles into the collector. I literally have bubbles beginning at the very bottom of the cylinder, where the bubbles /water mix, but I have all bubbles - is this a sign I have a ton of protein in my tank, and it's just skimming very well?
I have been adding MelaFix lately because my maroon clown got some weird type of fungus (seems to have cleared up now!!)
I do have a star fish I can't find, wonder if that has anything to do with it. My other water conditions are all perfect.
Stieger

va2kgt

oh yes i know the story. Mela fix os the problem, water changes, a quarentine tank, or turning your skimmer off are the solutions. The melafix changes the surface tension of the water making more bubbles faster, making your tank and collection cup a mess. I just turned my skimmer off for a while after i read about what melafix did and then just changed some water. you could try adding new carbon to pull out the chemicals, and move the marron to a qt tank. If none of those soultions are options, just turn the skimmer off. your tank will survive without it. hope this helps - Brad

stieger

Hi,
Thx for the input! If I add carbon though, won't it take out all the Coral Accel and chemical additives I've been adding to aid my reef?
What about a poly filter?
thx,
eric

va2kgt

yeah, the carbon will , id just say leave it off till the medicine does its job, then do some water changes and hook it back up. poly filter may help, i dunno