Help.. Need advise on Filter for tank......

underwoods

Hello,
I just bought a new tank , a 70 gallon tall show tank. What I have a question on is the filteration.. What should I use? I have always used the hang-on and skilters . What is the best to use ?? I have been lookin at the Fluval 404 , Magnum 350 and also the Penn-Plax Cascade 1200 or would a wet / dry be the best for me? I want one to help control the algee and help keep it cleaned up the way it needs to be. I have had salt water tanks for about 6 years and am always looking for hobbiest that have more experience and their inputs..
Also looking to buy items , if you have nay , I am in Wichita Falls , Texas
Thanks for your help....
Jesse :happyfish

jedi

I would definatly go with some type of Sump or Wet /Dry filtration.
I have a 90 with a wet/dry rated to 125 and my tank parameters are always near perfect. I use the bio-balls, and some will say they are no good. I would swear by mine.
I also use a magnum 350 for the carbon. Run it a few days a week, just to buff water nd help remove particles from the water.
Of course you should have a skimmer also.
Jedi

bang guy

I use live sand for all my filtration. Just 1/2" - 1" will do it. If you prefer bare-bottom then I'd suggest using live rock for you filtration. Either way you'll need a lot of water flow.

underwoods

I do have a undergravel filter going now , it has about 1.5 inches of crushed colral/shells , and about half a inch on that ,
My last tanks I used crushed coral only and it diodnt filter quite enough...
Thanks for all your help
Jesse