HELP!!!!!! Need help with ISOPOD!!!!!!!

cableguy

So last night about 1am I am watching my tank and I see a little pod swimming around. I went to grab my camera and when I came back I couldnt find it. Thought it was just another POD.
So I woke up and I see my Fire angle swimming around really fast while trying to "shake". So sure enough this f'in POD is stuck to the back of his body right on his wtf... M0TH3RF*<K3R?!!??!
I so spent about 20 mins trying to catch the little

[hr]
to pull him out of the water and physically remove the little

[hr]
on him but he pissed me off because I couldn't catch him and I had to goto work.
So now I'm still pissed that I couldn't catch him, and pissed that if he lays eggs I'll be screwed.
Still not sure how he got in the tank.. I think he come in on the rock I bought...?
So what do I do? What is the *BEST* way to catch a fish?

cableguy

So the fire angle was all about my cleaner shrimp and my fire shrimp in the morning. Obviously nature taking over saying hey!!! get this guy off of me.
So I just got home and the ISOPOD is no where to be seen..?? Would one of the shrimps killed it and ate it or just flicked it off of him and the iso pod is now in the sand laying eggs??
UGH!!! So mad that thing is in my tank right now!!!

handbanana

so this thing attacked your flame angle???
holy crap! I need to google Isopods I guess. I keep finding something that looks like a freeky water roach or something stuck in my overflow sponge and I put it back in my DT thinking its a good pod.
Now Im wondering what new pest is possibly out there...

cableguy

Yeah can you believe that?? I thought it was just a large pod, but nope hooked to my fire angle when I woke up. And then when I got home he was gone but his fin is noticeably "eaten away". He looked exactly like the picture in the "helpful thread / hitchhickers" He has the dark eyes and all.
So I stayed up late night and watched the tank and didnt see anything. I wonder if either the fire shrimp or the cleaner ate / killed him..??
I have inspected all of my other fish and couldnt find it, but could it be on a snail? I did just add some snails, and I wonder if he come in on that?

spanko

Look like this?

Cirolanid isopod
if so. Bummer, don't see them much in peoples tanks but definitely a predator.
I believe this is another of those "leave the tank fallow (fishless)" for like 2 to 4 months so they die with nothing to feed on. Don't hold me to that though, do some more research on them.

cableguy

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3271382
Look like this?

Cirolanid isopod
I believe this is another of those "leave the tank fallow (fishless)" for like 2 to 4 months so they die with nothing to feed on. Don't hold me to that though, do some more research on them.
Yep... looked exactly like that. If I start to see more than one I will be pulling all of the fish out and it will go fish less for 2-3 months like you said. Sucks, but it will give the Coral some time to grow.

handbanana

Wow. what a wonderful critter to find in your tank.
That sucks. Mine looks more flea-like.
Great link Spanks, not very hope inspiring but still a good link.

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3271382
Look like this?

Cirolanid isopod
That thing looks nasty. Like the cockroaches down here in La. Yuck!

cprdnick

Seems to me I remember reading a news story about a deep sea isopod washing up on a california beach. it was like 80 lbs and 5 ft long....dead of course, but it freaked out every living sole there to see it, lol.
I havent been on the forum for a while, but at the time that i had broken down my tank, i had never heard of a predatory isopod, i feel smarter already.

cprdnick

Well, I couldn't find the California one, but I did find one that I read when i was searching for this thing after i read the CA one.
http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comm...its_a_monster/
this one is 2.5 ft long reportedly, no weight. I tried to add a pictur, but couldn't figure out how. I might need to resize it, but it turns out that my 5 imaging programs dont allow image resizing...stupid.