HELP Need ID !!!!

C

clark5

I have 2 engineer Gobi's and I agree that is what it looks like. Both of mine look completely diff. one is striped and the other is spotted. What ever it is it's really unique.

T

tizzo

Now this is weird, that add says they stay on the bottom, but yours is swimming.
Maybe not the same fish.
Back to the drawing boards...

perfectdark

A red throated goby?
Tiz I think you nailed it... Looks like it to me. How big is it dmcoug9? They only get about 2" in length. Brackish water fish has me still guessing though, but I guess anything is possible.

dmcoug9

lol thanks guys i really appreciate it. i will try to get a better pic and post it tonight after i get home from work

T

tizzo

Well now, thanks to you, I wanna run out and buy a goby. I'm lookin' at tons of the cutest goby pics.

perfectdark

I am almost 100% positive its a Dragon Goby, aka violet goby. Very common in aquariums apparently they are not preditory. The can reach lenghts of 12" in their first year and 20" when fully grown.

michaeltx

actually dragon gobies are brackish fish and would not be found in LR the salinity is to high for them.
I am thinking along the lines of the american eel AKA glass eel.
have to look it up right quick though
Mike

perfectdark

While I agree, it appears that is the only description that fits. And in some instances brackish water fish can survive in SW, people have actually aclimated african cichlids to SW salinity levels (not sure why) but I have seen it. Admittidley the process to acclimate is very very long, but I have learned that in this hobby there are no absolutes... anyway it was just a guess.... I am still

T

tizzo

But it's swimming, that's the kicker. Every fish I find that looks like it, is a perching or crawling.
And Mike... don't you ever sleep?

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by interex
http:///forum/post/2548284
one more time if you dont want it i will take it.
Oh he left us! He went to work! We're all looking and loking and he's kickin back in traffic.