HELP Need ID !!!!

michaeltx

no never LOL to many storms in the area to sleep everytime I went to start to fall asleep BOOM thunder loud and deffining so I am awake LOL take alook in the aquarium for a title posted RAIN UGH LOL and youll see what we have been dealing with.
glass ells go through a platonic type stage that is free swimming from what I have been able to find.
Mike

perfectdark

I did some research and found eel goby's, eel snakes, worm eels, snake eels etc etc... there are litterally hundreds of different species of them along with eels in general I have seen pictures of Conger eels that resemble this pic all the way to Snake eels and eel blenny's. The issue IMO Is that first the pic isnt the best and second this is most likely a juvenille specimine and difficult to identify because all of the comparsons shown are adults. Worm Eels was another possibility, all of these species range from brackish to marine waters and also found on reefs. I saw a Slender eel goby that was very close, but pictures are hard to come by. Conger eels are found in the Atlantic but are also found in all temperatures and depths. Although I doubt you have one, you can see a pic that in a way resembles your....ummmmm, fish type thing. FWIW If it is one they can reach lengths of 8ft... LOL.
The last pic is the conger, also you can look up, Slant lip eel shown on the next post and eel blenny's which I didnt have time to snag a pic of, but also could be a possibility. Hope it helps..

perfectdark

Slant Lip eel. I am sure i didnt find your exact fish, but I would be willing to bet you have a species of one of these eel fish.

T

tizzo

WE really need a clearer shot. The eyes, the "lips", the tail. Scales or skin?
They can really help narrow it down.

perfectdark

I Got It !!!
Pearl Fish, Pearlfish is a general name for a variety of marine fish species in the Carapidae family. Pearlfish have been found in both tropical and subtropical waters of the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans at depths up to 2 km (1.25 mi) along oceanic shelves and slopes. They are distinguished by having dorsal fin rays that are shorter than their anal fin rays. They have translucent, scaleless bodies reminiscent of eels.

dmcoug9

i also read that they live inside of a sea cucumber and come out at night and then foolw a scent back to the sea cucumber where they enter through the anus

perfectdark

Some are parasitic yes... but the sea cucumber host doesnt mean that it is a parasitic species, it apparently just uses it for shelter.
OH COME ON I HAVE TO WIN SOMETHING FOR THAT ID.... Sheesh it only took me a day and half....LOL jk jk jk.... Learning, this is my Reward...

Well this one is good for the archives...

T

tizzo

If I listed all the different names I googled, the list would be 50 lines down!!
I gotta ask, exactly how long did you follow your google trail before you found that!!
Perfect dark, YOU are my hero, (for today, lol)

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2549881
If I listed all the different names I googled, the list would be 50 lines down!!
I gotta ask, exactly how long did you follow your google trail before you found that!!
Perfect dark, YOU are my hero, (for today, lol)
LOL... without revealing all my sources... or else i wouldnt be needed anymore around here. I actually didnt use google. There are a number of marine fish data bases that are far more effective in ID'ing things not common to our tanks. I was 100% positive it was a "Ray Finned Fish" so I started there, but there are a million different species of the ray finned fish. However not so many that are translucent

Only for today? Ok ill take it... for today.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2549905
LOL... without revealing all my sources... or else i wouldnt be needed anymore around here.
yeh but I looked at * come on you know that site has links on it!! (kidding)
Oh and your quote, that's how I feel about my secret recipes. If I tell, nobody would need me anymore.

Course, now that I put it in writing, I'm rethinking it...
It's BUTTER!!
And leave the oven OPEN when you broil
and put salt in the water and cheese in the sauce!!
Now I won't be bugged...
yeah right.

bluebubbles

Originally Posted by dmcoug9
http:///forum/post/2549754
i also read that they live inside of a sea cucumber and come out at night and then foolw a scent back to the sea cucumber where they enter through the anus

It may be a good idea not to swim in your tank