help needed with tank setup..

swnewb562

hello , i was wondering if someone can guide me or give a list of what i need to start a fish only salt water tank...i want to use my 29 gallon with an eclipse 3 filtration system..

atrialfib22

For fish only...you should get some live rock (about 1 lb per gal) and live sand (about the same...1lb per gal).
Will you be running a sump? or everything hanging on the back? Either way make sure you have enough water flow by using your sump return and/or power heads...I would also get a skimmer.
Lighting can be pretty flexible for a fish only tank...but if there is the slightest chance that you will want to one day have corals then I would just go ahead and buy a good T5 HO lighting fixture now and save yourself the hassle and cost of having to upgrade later.
Let's see...you should have a good thermometer to monitor your tank...also a heater (probably 1-100W or 2-50W would suffice for your 29 gal tank). If your tank starts fluctuating too much in temperature you may have to also get a clip-on fan or something along those lines to keep it cool.
But for now I think the above equipment would make a good starting setup.
Oh...make sure you have a refractometer so that you can accurately monitor your spec.gravity/salinity. They are more accurate and reliable than hydrometers. A saltwater testing kit is crucial (find the liquid tests, not the strips--and it should at least include tests for: Ammonia, pH, Nitrates, Nitrites).
Have some clean large buckets (preferrably never used before) to do your water changes and mix your saltwater...plastic tubing...hmm...extra powerhead, heater and thermometer for when you are mixing your saltwater...and a turkey baster (this can be pretty useful).
The above is for maintenance...I would say have all this stuff ready before you begin your setup, if possible. That way you won't have to scramble for it all when the need arises.
Err...any questions you may have just ask away! We like answering these questions around here! Good luck...
Oh yeah...and post some pictures of all your stuff/setup when you get it all going!

M

markeo99

yup he pretty much nailed it
and research a lot it will save you lots of time and money
are you aware of how the cycle and stuff works?

swnewb562

thanks for the input , ive been doing alot of reding on this forum , especially on how to cycle...so if eventually wanted corals in my tank would i need a sump??

swnewb562

so for my 29 tall gallon tank , i can get away with a hob skimmer , 2 power heads , 2 fans ,and heater ? ...

gmann1139

Originally Posted by swnewb562
http:///forum/post/2726662
so for my 29 tall gallon tank , i can get away with a hob skimmer , 2 power heads , 2 fans ,and heater ? ...
When you say Eclipse 3, do you mean a HOB filter, or the filter/hood combo.
If its B, you'll have to seriously mod it to get a HOB filter on there. I've done some mods to my tank (29g w/Eclipse 3 combo hood), but I wasn't willing to really cut the hood up like I would need to get the HOB skimmer on there.
Not sure what the fans are for either, unless you're going to have a high intensity lighting system.
Other than that, the pair of PH (I recommend Maxijet 400's) and heater (100 or 125 W will be fine) sounds good.

salt210

the sump is preferred because it increases biological filtration over relying on mechanical which can even increase nitrates if not cared for correctly. above it was mentioned to get 2 50watt or one 100watt. its recommened to get 2 incase one fails, so that you would still have something heating the tank. the fans are incase the temp in the tank starts to rise above normal. sometimes people are able to use the fans to bring down the temp instead of buying a much more expensive chiller. welcome to the board.

swnewb562

its the eclipse 3 filter / light combo , so lets say if i remove the hood completey , i would be able to do the whole hob skimmer no problem ? also i guess iam a bit confused about "fans" and "powerheads"...i was calling the koralia pumps; fans....so if i get 2 koralia 400 gph pumps and a skimmer , do i still need like like biowheel filters? or is that what the koralia pumps and skimmer replace?

swnewb562

ok lets say i get rid of my eclipse 3 combo , and add on 2 koralia power heads and a skimmer , would that be a descent setup?

gmann1139

You need several types of filtration:
1. Physical - Something to take 'stuff' physically out of the water. The Eclipse will do this for you, but its not optimal. I'm using a Hagen HOB filter on another tank, and like it.
2. Live Rock - Live Rock filters nitrogenous wastes (ammonia, nitrite) out of the water. That's why you want a lot (1 lb/gallon minimum) for that.
3. Protein Skimmer - This removes organic wastes out that build up 'silently' over time.
Powerheads (fans) like Koralias or Maxijets don't filter, they just move the water around. This is important because it keeps the wastes suspended where the filtration units can get it out.

swnewb562

ok so if i was to put in 2 penguin 350 bio wheel filters , plus skimmer , plus 2 powerheads...is that all i need , i mean besides rock and sand...

swnewb562

k..cool i appreciate all the input u guys have given me...i will be starting my tank prolly in a couple of weeks , now that i know what i need ...thanks again!....