Help needed!

parker420

OK....I have actually spoken to a couple of you on the phone....GREAT advice, (Seth & Debbie) I appreciate it. I'm now hooked up with a guy who says this, along with a couple other locals. A pet store sold me the Fluval 406 canister filter for my 75g SWT (Fish & Coral). I was told that this is mainly a fresh water filter! Great 250.00 Bucks!!! Now......a guy that does HUGE home and commercial says to go this route for now......... Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer and a HOB filter, didn't say which one (he will tell me what to put in filter) and do away with the Fluval. Thoughts??? He also is telling my about a Marineland LED light. Thoughts??? I was also told 1 Korilia 1150 powerhead was fine? But was also told to do 2? My 1st mistake apparently was getting a tank this size that wasn't drilled, and not doing a sump.
Back to lighting.....I was looking at the Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 48..... Found it shipped for 230.00. But, as I mentioned above, he's pushing the Marineland LED?
Is a RO system from Lowes any good? Or should I do the RO/DI? Which one? Where to hook up?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr HELP!!!
I Pray I get this figured out! LOL......or at least gain a bunch of knowledge in the right direction.
Yes, at 46 this is pretty much my 1st major tank. I'm a retired Police Officer.....this stuff is WAY above my head!
Oh....where to order good bulk live rock? And best place for equipment?
Again.....Seth and Debbie have been great, and I appreciate you guys......just wanting to hear from others also.
Thanks in advance for any, and all replies! I'm in KY in case there is someone close to me.
Steve

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker420 http:///t/395799/help-needed#post_3524708
OK....I have actually spoken to a couple of you on the phone....GREAT advice, (Seth & Debbie) I appreciate it. I'm now hooked up with a guy who says this, along with a couple other locals. A pet store sold me the Fluval 406 canister filter for my 75g SWT (Fish & Coral). I was told that this is mainly a fresh water filter! Great 250.00 Bucks!!! Now......a guy that does HUGE home and commercial says to go this route for now......... Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer and a HOB filter, didn't say which one (he will tell me what to put in filter) and do away with the Fluval. Thoughts??? He also is telling my about a Marineland LED light. Thoughts??? I was also told 1 Korilia 1150 powerhead was fine? But was also told to do 2? My 1st mistake apparently was getting a tank this size that wasn't drilled, and not doing a sump.
Back to lighting.....I was looking at the Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 48..... Found it shipped for 230.00. But, as I mentioned above, he's pushing the Marineland LED?
Is a RO system from Lowes any good? Or should I do the RO/DI? Which one? Where to hook up?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr HELP!!!
I Pray I get this figured out! LOL......or at least gain a bunch of knowledge in the right direction.
Yes, at 46 this is pretty much my 1st major tank. I'm a retired Police Officer.....this stuff is WAY above my head!
Oh....where to order good bulk live rock? And best place for equipment?
Again.....Seth and Debbie have been great, and I appreciate you guys......just wanting to hear from others also.
Thanks in advance for any, and all replies! I'm in KY in case there is someone close to me.
Steve
LOL...Your fluval is fine. I had one on my SALTWATER 90g for 6 years. You have got to stop talking to folks, you will get as many opinions as people you ask. You have the opinion of over 100 people right here on this site. I didn't start SW tanks until I was 40, believe me...if I can do this so can you. Whatever you do STAY AWAY from Coralife anything. The company went out of business, all that's left is the garbage they couldn't sell. Go with a Aquaticlife T5HO linkable light (Drs Foster and Smith on line), that way you can upgrade if you want coral later on. $128.99. w/free delivery
Rock or live sand...right here on saltwaterfish.com You need about 2 inches of sand, this place IMO has the best live sand anywhere. It's called reef sand because it has all the needed tiny critters in it to keep your tank nice and healthy, so don't worry because you plan a fish only...the sand is good for fish only as well.
2 smaller Koralia power heads is better then just one, because you can aim the power head in different directions, and get better water flow. The wave is the life of the ocean, and your SW tank. The ONE is just fine as well, it's your choice. Since you don't have a sump...you need a HOB skimmer, but not for at least 2 to 3 months after your tank is up and running with fish in it...even then... you don't absolutely need a skimmer. I don't have one at all on my 56g. I have an in-sump skimmer in the 90gs sump. I don't have a sump anymore on the 56g.
RO water from anywhere is just fine...Walmart is cheapest around me...37 cents a gallon. This is just my personal opinion. RO/DI is great for ONLY the fish tank. If you are going to install your own system ($200.00) get only an RO (Reverse Osmosis) unit. That way you can use your RO for cooking, and drinking...it's your own bottled water factory, good for you and your fancy fish tank. I have kept fish for many, many years, and have only used RO water.
Also...I NEVER...EVER ask a fish store person for any advice. I go to the store knowing exactly what I want. Don't let anyone push you into anything and if a salesman pushes me...I don't go back, but I live in an area where I have lots of stores to choose from. They all want to sell you something....we only want to see you enjoy the hobby, and build your fish tank into something breath taking.

deejeff442

debbie is right lol for a change (we rarely agree) just alot more maintanance with that filter. what part of the country are you in?
i dont see the size tank you have. so cant help with powerheads untill then. ro/di is the way to go.i can direct you where to get rock and the filter but cant list other companies on here.
i never really ran a skimmer at all imo all depends on the bioload.i always kept mine light and did waterchanges.

deejeff442

by the way i love stoping in the local store just to mess with them. i have a couple awesome honest stores here which is rare but i work construction so if i go by a fish store i never been to i always stop and mess with them.90% of the time they are clueless. which is odd because it costs alot of cash to open a store and not know what you are talking about.

P

packrat05

me i'm picky, i want nothing in my water so i went with a ro/di from aqua. i enjoy it due to no longer lugging around 5gal jugs. the membrane for the di unit is costly though and needs to be changed out like every six months but a three stage ro unit should be fine if your not planing coral. it even gives you the option in what salt mix you want to use for your tank so your not buying cheaply made presalt mix salt water.
as for asking your LFS for advise. take everything they say with a grain of salt. every one has there own views and ideas but you need to find what works for you and your tank. also shop around you might find a local reefer who isn't trying to sell and dose offer good advise. i know here i have been in a few shops were unless your buying they don't care to talk. took me some time to find one were they did talk and got me started right. just stay out of pet co and wally mart. holy carp the stories i hear from people who shop for fish their.

ibew41

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat05 http:///t/395799/help-needed#post_3524758
me i'm picky, i want nothing in my water so i went with a ro/di from aqua. i enjoy it due to no longer lugging around 5gal jugs. the membrane for the di unit is costly though and needs to be changed out like every six months but a three stage ro unit should be fine if your not planing coral. it even gives you the option in what salt mix you want to use for your tank so your not buying cheaply made presalt mix salt water.
as for asking your LFS for advise. take everything they say with a grain of salt. every one has there own views and ideas but you need to find what works for you and your tank. also shop around you might find a local reefer who isn't trying to sell and dose offer good advise. i know here i have been in a few shops were unless your buying they don't care to talk. took me some time to find one were they did talk and got me started right. just stay out of pet co and wally mart. holy carp the stories i hear from people who shop for fish their.
I dont know the aqua brand but a basic 3 stage unit should not have to replace the membrane for 18 months.a 3 stage unit is fine for corals adding a di unit helps also get a unit that has a tds meter look into spectapure systems