Help...new Sump!

nayr

HERE'S THE DEAL. FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS I'M CHANGING MY 2 EMPEROR 400'S ON MY 90 REEF AND REPLACING THEM W/A 30G SUMP W/REFUGIUM. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS MY TANK IS TOO CLOSE TO THE WALL FOR MY OVERFLOW. ALL I NEED IS ANOTHER INCH. HOW CAN I MOVE MY TANK AND STAND WITHOUT COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLING MY ENTIRE SET UP. ALSO ANY SUGGESTION ON DO'S AND DON'T BEFORE FILTER AND REFUGIUM HAVE CYCLED. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANKS
RYAN

you really cannot move that tank. you can look into other brands of overflows. My cpr is pretty small. Or you could hang it on the side of the tank.
as for your sump/ refugium, be sure to run a good mechanical filter pad of somesort, if not you will end up with terrible detritus in the bottom of your sump, that your pump pumps back into the tank....(i had that problem) be sure to have some good lights on it, and not too intense of a pump. if your pump is pushing too much water, your macro's will die.

nayr

thanks for the help. how much do i need to worry about an ammonia spike before the bio balls are mature?:notsure:

D

daniel411

I scooted my 90g tank about two inches from the wall without any problems. Just take two people, go extremely slow, and becareful.
You don't need to "cycle" the sump and fuge. Valve them in, fill them with new aged saltwater. Turn the pumps on. It will probally be like doing a 25% water change, so watch all your levels. Leave your emperor's on for a week or two while bacteria grows on the bio-balls. Than slowly remove one of the emperors from service, monitor the ammonia. Than a few weeks later, remove the other from service.

D

daniel411

Only "scoot" it if you have an extremely sturdy stand.
Move one end, a 1/4-1/2" over, than do the other end. Just nudgeing it along slowly in very small steps.
Do not tip it at all when you're scooting it.
If it starts to tip over, you probally can't stop it, just get out of the way.
Consider taking five gallons out, like you're doing a water change... will knock down 45 lbs or so off the weight.

nayr

JUST THOUGHT I'D UPDATE YOU ON MY SUMP. I PUT IT IN SERVICE AND IT WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!:happy: ME AND A FRIEND MOVED THE TANK OUT 1" WITH NO PROBLEM. FULL OF WATER:D I PUT THE 4 BIO WHEELS FROM THE EMPEROR IN MY SUMP AND WILL PROBABLY LEAVE THEM THERE FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS. THE ONLY PROBLEM I'M HAVING NOW IS THAT MY SKIMMER SEEMS TO PRODUCE TONS OF MICRO BUBBLES THAT OF COURSE WIND UP BACK IN THE TANK. NO BIG DEAL THOUGH, JUST PART OF THE FUN IS FIGURING OUT HOW TO CURE THIS.
THANKS FOR YOUR $.02:happy: :happy:

suver569

I can scoot my 55 gallon no problem. It was about 3 inches off the wall, then I had to move it about 2 inches to accomodate my new skimmer. I basically just had my wife put a little pressure on the front of the tank while I picked up the stand, one end and 1/4 inch at a time. It's heavy as Heck, but it'll move. But yes, ONLY if you have a very sturdy stand.
Wouldnt think about doing it with a homemade stand if you dont have decent bracing inside.