Help! New to sumps!

aquaria

So yesterday i just installed my sump that i had made a diy project over the last couple days!
I have a few questions.
If my power goes out how can i prevent my sump from overflowing?
Also, after i did the conversion from my canister to my sump, i got a small algae bloom and my sg is @ 1.0275 which i know is a little high, but can't fix until tomorrow!
Is everything going to be alright at that sg?
Also my readings are:
Ammo-0
Trite-0
Trate-30
Phos-<.05
If three are any other basics or important things i should know please feel free!
thanks!

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaria http:///t/391118/help-new-to-sumps#post_3467087
So yesterday i just installed my sump that i had made a diy project over the last couple days!
I have a few questions.
If my power goes out how can i prevent my sump from overflowing?
Also, after i did the conversion from my canister to my sump, i got a small algae bloom and my sg is @ 1.0275 which i know is a little high, but can't fix until tomorrow!
Is everything going to be alright at that sg?
Also my readings are:
Ammo-0
Trite-0
Trate-30
Phos-<.05
If three are any other basics or important things i should know please feel free!
thanks!
You need to test to make sure that the sump can hold the extra water from a power failure. Did you drill a small hole in the top of the return line going back to the tank? The hole goes on the top of the return line (just below the water) to let air into the line to break the back siphon.
Just unplug the return pump and test a few times. The drain line should stop when the water goes below the overflow in your DT, but the return line will back siphon water into the sump until the siphon is broken. You can adjust the water level in the sump accordingly. You might need to lower your return chamber level to accommodate the extra water from the DT. Test it a few times and mark the level on the sump where it stops raising. It should be around the exact same spot each time.
How much extra water did you need to add when you put in the sump?? Did you mix the new water to match the DT?? If you did not sure why the salinity is that high. If you're using a refractometer you may need to calibrate it with some distilled water to make sure it did not creep on you.
You are going to love the sump. So much easier then a canister.

aquaria

Thanks for the quick response! I will have to try adjusting some things when i get home tonight, thanks for the advice

As for where i should be drilling this hole I'm still not sure? I will take a picture and post it a bit later for you! thanks again
Also do you know where i could get some chaeto?
None of my lfs have any?

njbillyv

Can't your LFS order it for you, if not, that's one poor LFS you've got there.
Also, did you have the sg checked with a refractometer, if not do so. If it's correct I'd just let your top off bring it down slowly, no biggie.

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaria http:///t/391118/help-new-to-sumps#post_3467095
Thanks for the quick response! I will have to try adjusting some things when i get home tonight, thanks for the advice

As for where i should be drilling this hole I'm still not sure? I will take a picture and post it a bit later for you! thanks again
Also do you know where i could get some chaeto?
None of my lfs have any?
Find your local reef clubs board. I bet that you can get it for free from someone. They usually just throw it away.
Like stated above your local fish store should be able to get this with minimal effort. I can't see why they don't run it on their own setups.