Help on Popeye

regaldragon

I believe that is what you call what two of my fish in my 55 gallon have gotten recently. Last week, I had a small blue damsel get this, and it went away on its own before I even got the chance to post on here. However, I came back home from work today to find my saddleback clownfish with a very large, protruding eyeball.
Other things I have in the tank are about 35 lbs of live rock, 3 peppermints, 2 emerald crabs, hermits, a brittle star, a blue tang (yes, I know, please don't flame me for having him, he is very small, etc etc.), a percula clown, and a large 4 striped damsel. Tank has been up and running since early June. I have been feeding the fish two or three times daily with wardley flakes and once a day with brine. I also have an algae clip that I use for them all to graze on during the day, while I'm at work.
I don't have a QT tank yet, thinking that I might need to get one quite soon here.
Water parameters were perfect last time I checked (two days ago); nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia all at 0, pH was as it always has been at 8.15 or so. SG is 1.024, like it has been since I started the tank. Nothing has changed in the tank for about a month, but I was about to do a water change today (have had the water mixing in a tub for about 24 hours now)
Regretably, I don't have a digital camera, but I'm sure that this problem is fairly common. I just don't know how to treat it, if I need to at all. The damsel seemed to do just fine on its own, will the clown be the same?
Thanks in advance for the help, all!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is quite a LOAD you have there for a new tank. I suggest doing a large water change. You can also soak your fish food in garlic to possibly help with the popeye. Not much else you can do at this point, without a QT.
A water change might clear things up.

T

thomas712

I agree that is quite a load you have. Although your test scores are perfect as you say can you also test for DOC's? I think that you may be overfeeding thus causing heavy organics from exess food and fish waste. One of the causes of popeye is poor water conditions, your tests may be fine but there could still be something wrong.
Do the large water change as suggested 30% or so, sometimes this is enough to cure the problem. Other causes include the fish hitting the rocks, powerheads other equipment, or the use of nets which is another leading cause of popeye.
Your water change should be mixed with powerhead, heater and aeriation.
Good luck and post back on the progress
Thomas

regaldragon

I have done the water change, and obviously, no immediate results here, but I will wait a couple days to see what happens. If he doesn't get better, I will do the other things that are suggested. BTW, only the Blue Tang is actually mine, I am holding the two damsels and the two clowns for a friend in town who is moving. Dunno how long they're gonna be there, but probably not much longer.
I got a good deal on a 200 gallon bucket of instantocena ($33!), so I believe that I will start in with bi-monthly water changes. I think this will help to keep the health of my fishies up :)
Let me know if there is anything else I should do. I was planning on getting the garlic supplements anyhow for my tang, was just waiting for my paycheck to come through.
Anyhow, thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Later, all!

I

irenicus

My Pork Puffer had popeye recently. He scratched it on some rocks. A few water changes and vitamin enriched food helped out after a couple of days. Be prepared with a 10-20 qt tank in case it doesn't clear up. I had Maracyn II Saltwater Formula on hand with mine... didn't need it though.