Help on starting a reef club in Roanoke, VA.

pacopetty

I would like to start a Reef Club in Roanoke, VA
If anyone could give me info on how you got your club started or how you run your meetings or anything useful please let me know.
Also anyone in the surrounding areas that would like to join or help me get this thing started please let me know.
I will be posting flyers in the local LFS's that will allow me to do so.
Thanks,
Andy

pacopetty

Hypertek99 I was in Roanoke today and recruited at least 6 people that are interested in starting a reef club. I put up a sign-up sheet at Somethings Fishy. I am making some more and I'll put one up at Petland and Pet City, hopefully later this week or early next week.

attml

I am a long way from Roanoke but here are some of the things my club does. Hopefully it will be helpful!
1. Check out our website - http://www.cmas-md.org/
2. Monthly meetings that we alter between two locations so we can include more people from up north and down south.
3. 10 - 15% discount at local fish stores for members showing their membership cards.
4. Fall, Winter & Spring we have meetings, during the summer we do member tank tours (2 members houses near each other per weekend). This allows seasoned reefers and new reefers to share their setups and have the group give feedback and find new ways of doing things with their systems
5. Guest Speakers - We have great speakers come and discuss their systems and other reef topics. Some of the people who have spoke at our club are Eric Borneman, Mike Paletta, Blane Perun, Sanjay Joshsi, Dana Riddle.
6. Frag swapping/selling/trading after meetings.
7.Coordinatinted Frag events with LFSs. The LFS allows members to come into their store and purchase several very large colonies and frag them in the store for members. The club will often buy the super expensive colonies ($200 range) that a normal reefer wouldn't be able to afford normally then we cut that up.
HTH

pacopetty

Wow I've gotten a really good response to the new reef club. I'll be in Roanoke Tuesday putting up flyers at Pet City and Petland.
I've already got a couple of other reefers that are going to help me get this going. Thanks to all that gave me tips!
Andy

hypertek99

Cool i'll check it out wednesday. I go to the pet stores every wednesday that's when they usually get shipments in.

drkdweller

HEY pacopetty you still doing this. THe list at pet city is full and theres acouple of us who always go to jeremeys that are intrested.