* ~ Help! Opinions needed! ~ *

xokarmaxo

First of all, forgive the photo quality... I took these today with my cell phone.
I have a 14 gallon Biocube that was set up on January 16th. Photo is below:

Everything is going perfect. Livestock all healthy; everything/everybody gets along. All of my corals are full-size corals versus nano sized (frags).
I went to an awesome LFS today that had a 29 gallon Biocube set up with corals and 2 skunk shrimp. They are selling the entire set up, corals included for $1300.00, photo below:

I know that it's hard to tell in the photos, but this tank is beautiful. The variety of corals/color is gorgeous! I fell in love right away!

I know that I have put in more than $1300.00 in my tank alone; especially thanks to the corals I have purchased. I spoke with the general manager about trading my tank in with all livestock, minus my fish because I am quite attached to them, and paying for the difference. He had already seen my tank in person, so he knows the quality of my corals, care of my livestock, etc.. He told me to e-mail him my list and we would "work something out" and see what he could do.

When I got to work and told my co-workers what I wanted to do, they didn't really try to talk me out of it, but they were asking me why I would want to trade my whole tank in for that one when mine was "just as beautiful" and should mean more to me since I personally picked everything out and built my own reef on my own, versus getting one that "someone else" put together.
I don't know.... now I am torn. I do love my tank and am quite proud of it. But I instantly fell in love with the 29 gallon. It had more "open" space and I liked the look of the nano sized corals (frags), as well as the color variety. LOVED the plate coral on the front side of the rock in the middle.
I need help/opinions... what would you do??

shrimpi

I think its really just up to you.
It would be cool to trade up to a larger nano; however I agree that part of enjoying your tank is remembering each coral you picked out and watching them grow. Maybe Im too sentimental but its kinda like a pet - you always buy babies and pick out that special 'one for you'.
If you really like his tank and its hitting a soft spot with you then go for it ! You said you ar keeping your fish so that will be like your little 'taste of home' or personal touch.
I would see exactly what "work something out" means before getting too excited. If he wants another like 300.00 I wouldnt do it.
JMO
Good Luck
Your tank is beautiful
Jessica

xokarmaxo

Jessica,

Thanks so much for your response and for the compliment. I'm going to wait and see what the "work something out" thing means too. If we can do an even trade, I think I'll do it. When I suggested selling my own tank, but not knowing what to ask for it, he was the one who suggested that although my tank was a 14 gallon, and with the corals, etc.. he said that I wouldn't be out of range by asking for $1300 for all of it. That's when I suggested the "trade" and he made his comment. So, we'll see.
I do understand the sentimental issue; it's the ONLY thing right now keeping me going back and forth.
I'll keep this thread informed.

Thanks again for your response.

new2salt1

If I had to wager a bet, I would say he is going to ask you for around 500-600 dollars more.
I think when he was saying you could get $1300 for yours, he was suggesting if you parted it out. Obviously corals sold individually will make you more dough.
Assuming your tanks are of equal quality, what would his motivation be to trade his for one half the size?
Obviously Imthrowing a lot of conjecture aound here, but I dont see you getting $1000 "credit" for your tank. Not because of your tank - but because of the fish business in general. My LFS offers 25% on livestock, which is why he won't pay you top dollar.
BUT ON A MUCH MORE IMPORTANT NOTE:
Isn't the designing, buying, picking out, excitement of a new piece, discovering a new hiker...isn't that what it's all about?? If you are going to have a 29gal Nano, wouldn't you want to spend a few years buildin it and watching it grow?
For me, I love to watch mine. But if someone just dropped one in my lap, it would not have nearly as much meaning. Although, if someone wanted to double my 14 gal right now, I would do it because I would have more room to fill!!!
Good luck and please, tell us the number, good or bad.
I say he wants $500-$600 more for his tank.

xokarmaxo

Thanks so much for your input, New2Salt1.
I haven't gotten a response from him yet, but what he told me to do was put down how much I paid for each coral and then add 25% to that cost because he said that the corals would have increased in value and to take off 25% for what I paid for my tank because it's used. He said that my corals would go for more than what he has in the 29 because the 29 has a lot of frags and mine has some big corals, if that makes sense! Soooo.... we'll see what he says.
I will definately keep this thread updated, good or bad.

peef

I would say but yourself a 29 new, and start to frag your own coral and put together a whole new one!!!! That would be the funnest way to do it.

xokarmaxo

Okay... got my response. He wants $200 extra. Keep in mind that I am not getting this from another hobbyist, but from a LFS who informed me that after I get this one, they will set up another one and sell it also. They said that they do this all the time (set up tanks with corals, etc.) and that the next one they are doing will be a 29 with metal halides. What to do, what to do?? Though I took a cell phone pic of the tank, I can't really tell exactly what all is in there. He is going to e-mail me the total stock list tomorrow. That will help in my decision.
I think that I am going to go for it. I've been wanting to go larger, and instead of having to buy an all new tank and starting over, I am just thrilled that I can pay $200 extra and get a larger tank with beautiful corals. My water babies will go with me, so at least the new tank will have a sense of familiarity about it, and with me, I am always changing and rearranging, so it won't be too long before I'll be adding my own personal touch anyway!~

Thanks so much for all the responses. I really appreciate it.