Help Painting the back of my tank.

fish46

I'm using blue latex semi gloss to paint the back of my tank. I't look horriable.Brush marks and the paint seems to be moving on the glass,like pulling away.

feixjai

well i have seen my brother paint his tank but it was arcylic. he just masked off the areas he didnt want paint on and then he just used a flat black spray paint and sprayed it on the back and bottom and it looks great. but too bad its not a saltwater tank. its his austrailian arowana. :)

K

kimc

After many, many, many, many coats the paint will stop pulling apart and it will look great.... :joy:

airforceb2

Many people use spray paint rather than brushing. Just remember that when you spray, cover the top with plastic wrap or tape.

ricks280

hi fish, ive just painted my 280gal the back and both ends i used a water based (acrylic paint) but the key is to use a roller, you cant rush it as glass does not absorb, so very fine coats and dont re-coat untill dry( 5-6hours) i gave the tank 4 coats. looks good and no peeling.

maeistero

yes spray is the best, rollers second best. lots of coats like they say and let it dry a long time. usually twice as long as it says on the back of latex paint. it isn't soaking into drywall, it's on hard glass. the glossier you go the more expensive, but also the less flaking you will have. higloss also won't look any different through a foot of water and glass. also don't believe the people at home depot or lowes or whatnot, they don't know. go to a reputable store that sells only paint, get advice, and then go to hd and buy the cheaper behr. i don't really recommend lowes or hd america paint. cheap stuff w/lots of water and little TiO2. i'd also stay away from all oil-based sprays (most rustoleum) on tanks although it is the best for metal stands. e-mail any questions maeistero - gmail
p.s. acrylic, water-based, latex, these are synonyms now in the paint industry.
paint store manager guy and tank painting veteran now.