Help picking a dog from humane society

sigmachris

I am looking at rescuing a 1.5 year old boxer mix from my humane society. It has been there 2 weeks as a stray...female, looks a little scranny, gets along great with my 3 year old and my current 9 year old dog. It walks great on a leash and doesn't jump. It also doesn't show fear if my hand is over its head like it has been beaten before. I can also easily put my hand in its mouth so it doesn't seem to be a biter.
Raising, obediance and caring for the dog isn't my problem. My question is what problems should I be looking for (disease, mental, abuse) and what history questions should I be asking to the pound? I've never rescued a dog before so I don't know what problems can come up (kennel cough) in the next few weeks.
With the adoption fee comes a round of shots, spayed, micro chip, and a docs visit.

scotts

I am a little biased so let me just say this DO IT!!!!!
Kennel cough you will see right away and it is something that goes away. You should ask the people at the pound what they think of the dog. They see so many that they can usually tell you about the dog.
As far as illness or something like that, they do get a once over from a vet, or at least a vet tech.
You usually have 2 weeks to take it back and get your money back if there is something bad.
You have already done most of the homework and it sounds like it has passed all the tests.
Post pictures of you new dog

al mc

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
http:///forum/post/2793162
I am looking at rescuing a 1.5 year old boxer mix from my humane society. It has been there 2 weeks as a stray...female, looks a little scranny, gets along great with my 3 year old and my current 9 year old dog. It walks great on a leash and doesn't jump. It also doesn't show fear if my hand is over its head like it has been beaten before. I can also easily put my hand in its mouth so it doesn't seem to be a biter.
You have done your homework and should have minimal problems. Personally, I would consider immunizing your existing dog for Bordatella (kennel cough) before bringing the new dog home. Since the new dog is getting a vet check/worming/vaccines you have covered your bases as well as can be expected. While there are no guarantees in life, it appears that you have done your best to insure success.

dragonzim

Sounds like you've got your bases pretty much covered. Adopt away and thank you for saving an animal! Post pics when you get him!!!

socal57che

Don't take the pound's word for it's health. Have a vet check the animal thoroughly. We have two adoptees in the family, now. One is deaf, the other is blind. Both came from the same place and we were told both times that the dog just wasn't familiar with us yet. We love them both and would never take them back. We're pretty confident that they both would have been put down. We realized the one was deaf immediately and they gave us 50% off. The other took a few days. She was running into stationary objects during walks. We weren't sure if she was blind or just stupid.

The dogs seem to know what awaited them at the pound. I've heard this from other people as well. A dog from the pound is usually exceptionally loving and loyal to the rescuing family. I'd go as far as calling them appreciative.

maryg

Boxers are good dogs. Life expectancy I hear is around 9 years. They are prone to heart problems. Keep it active.
I got my cocker spaniel from the Humane Society. Best dog I ever had. He is such a good dog. He was about 5 years old when I got him. That was 4 years ago. He is going alittle deaf and is getting cataracs. But I wouldn't trade him for the world.

sigmachris

Thanks for everyone's input...I decided (well my wife gave her blessing) to get Roxy. She will be spayed on Wednesday and I can pick her up on Friday.
Thanks for the hint on getting Dharma (current dog) bordatella shots, I will do that. I will also take Roxy to my vet for a once over. Their vet may be a little biased in order to free up bed space.

nordy

Awwww too cute! Bless you for rescuing a dog! I have gotten two dogs from shelters and both of them have been exceptionally happy and grateful for being rescued, as socal57che said. I had my first rescue for 14 years and I swear, he remembered that I rescued him from a certain death-he was such a happy, funny, silly, and loving dog. Two years after he died, I still miss him soooo much.
Good luck on your new addition and post some pics of the whole pack when your gal gets back from her surgery!

teresaq

One thing I have seen a lot of with rescue dogs is food aggression. I would have them test her for that. Otherwise she is beautiful.
Good Luck with her.
TeresaQ

rotarymagic

Yeah double check the food aggression thing. I rescue dogs of death row when I go to the pound... I want the ones that no one else does because they tend to be the most loyal and selfless.

wangotango

We've rescued a few dogs from the humane society. Some things we've learned over the years:
- don't always trust the fact sheet (if there is one). For one dog it said that he was housebroken, but he wasn't.
-if you have other dogs let them meet before hand.
-don't give up on a problem dog. We rescued an abused beagle two years ago, and my dad and I couldn't even touch him for the first three months. He's come a long way though.
Definately have check-ups by the pound and your own vet.
-Justin

nordy

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/2793856
wow Nordy how did you get all them to sit so still for yer avatar ?
The beautiful brown one is mine and the other three dogs belong to my regular dog sitting customers. Each has been to my house a number of times before-this was a perfect storm of weekend dog sitting! I spoil and I love all the dogs in the picture and they know it! I also practice calm assertive pack leadership like Cesar, and the dogs will do anything I ask them to do: I feed each of them at the same time in the same room with no problems whatsoever.

sigmachris

Thanks again for everyone's input. Roxy is being spayed today and also checked for heartworm and I will be taking her home on Friday. Saturday she is getting checked out by my vet.
I have seen her 6 times at the society and she gets sweeter every time. My 3 year old boy has been with her 3 of those times and Roxy is great with him. My older dog and 1 year old girl have also met Roxy with great results.
The family can't wait until Friday for the new addition.
Thanks again,
Chris