Help Please Is My Anemoe Dead

arv99t

I am starting to think my amemoe is dead. Yesterday it looked a little different but after reading posts on here I thought it was possibly pooping. Later yesterday I found my starfish over the small rock it was hiding under. I moved the choc chip star and all seemed well. The anemoe appeared to be moving, ext. Now at 3 am this morning I woke up to the pump making an odd noise and when I got up the star fish is laying directly on the anemoe. Once again I removed the star but the anemoe doesnt seem to be mushy or anything that I read on here. What is going on do I need to remove him and consider a loss or what??????

rod buehle

Your starfish is trying to eat your anemone. Quite common with chocolate chip star fish. They should not be kept with soft corals and anemones.

arv99t

So much for trusting the lfs....I buy everything from them cause they are the only one in town....grrrrrr looks like I can't trust them
Is there anything I can do other than get rid of one of them?

yearofthenick

Sorry dude, they're just incompatible. See if you can return one of them for a refund. When you go, hold your ground... they'll probably try to give you a run around but don't let them. Just be sure of what you saw - that cc star was eating your anemone.
If I were you, I'd return them BOTH to the LFS. IF they recommended you add both of them to the tank and they started beating each other up, they should take them both back.
If you're going to do this, either with one or both, I would call them first and make sure they're going to take one back... nothing sucks worse than bagging up a bunch of livestock, taking them to the LFS, only to get denied and then having to take them back home and re-acclimate them. Pretty stressful on them.
IF your anemone looks fine, just take the cc star back.
OR get a second tank... lol

hlcroghan

yep...one of the worst inverts for a reef tank. They will eat anything they can get a hold of....They are really cool looking though.

arv99t

Actually the anemoe didn't make it, but the lfs made it good. The person there didn't know. Its ok though it wasnt really my favorite thing in the tank...I plan to have another tank or two up and going before long.
The star is one of my current favorites, and then the humu of course.....not a big fan of the puffer either but my son and hubby are

gnjeff

at least they made good with the outcome.we put alot of trust in our lfs to know what needs to be done in this hobby. its also good to ask questions here for some great advice.

arv99t

Yes no more buying anything just because we like it without research first. I guess the lfs can't know everything since they don't sell only saltwater fish. We found out that an hour from us there is a lfs that is saltwater only.