Help!! Please!! Protein skimmers

litlfishy

I'm in the market for a very good protein skimmer, Hang on the back type. I currently have a 55 gallon tank, but I plan on upgrading in about a year to a 125g. Would like to buy just one. What do all you fine folks have, and what do you recommend (if different)? Also, can you include why you recommend one over the others. I'm confused, so I'll leave it up to real, honest people who actually use them. Not the LFS people who say the best is the one they have in stock. Even if its the last one in stock and has an inch of dust on it. Thanks for the help.

litlfishy

Are the Remoras noisy, thats what I have heard. Not sure if its a sales pitch, or just a bad one in the batch. Whats your input?

randolph

i use a cpr bak pak works for me, may not be the best but it works well for my 55, and some folks say to skim or not to skim, i run mine 24/7 and my saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it.bak pak very quiet, hope this helps;)

smooth_9

I have a sea life and it works fine. I have a 55g tank and a skimmer for a 150 gallon tank. Get one with a higher rating than your tank is or will be.

N

newreefers

aqua c - remora, if you want it to handle the 125 later, I would go with the remora pro. they skim well and are quiet.

madrefkepr

Am I the only one who uses a precision marine? I love mine. Quiet, almost never needs adjusting. They now ship with a maxi-jet (used to use rio?), which is what I have.

nm reef

For a hang on skimmer that will be effective up to 55 gal I'd suggest the CPR BacPac 2r...I've run one none stop for nearly two years now and its still pulling scum out...I empty the collection cup about once a week. It now is on my 58 fish only...but origionally it was on my 55 reef. Dependable and reliable....mine was quiet and I had few minor problems with it. Now if you want something to skimm a 55 now and still be able to go larger later look at the EuroReef line of skimmers...I run a CS6_2 on my 55 reef and it is a beast...simple...powerful...and mainentance free.

litlfishy

I have heard a lot of good things about the skimmers mentioned. When I first started this crusade I was thinking of a Berlin Hang On made by Red Sea. Now, I see there are a lot of good options. Does anybody know anything about the Berlin before I rule it out. Also, from what I have been reading it seems that a needle wheel type is the best!! True or false? Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!

madrefkepr

I was going to get the Berlin hang on until I taked to my brother. He said he has to play with it constantly, and is thinking of ditching it. FWIW.