Help PLease

swimrnum1

when i order my live rock whould i buy it in incriments of 2,3,5,10, etc. or should i just buy 20 gallons together? i want to customize my lr i dont want it i njust on huge island or blob? would i have to acclimate my lr or ls ?? in some way if i get it from swf or someplace else?

viet-tin

since your going with the fake corals then lighting wouldnt matter. You can use regular flouresent bulbs that the tanks come with. But if you ever decide to get corals then id suggest some power compacts for your size tank.

swimrnum1

when i order my live rock whould i buy it in incriments of 2,3,5,10, etc. or should i just buy 20 gallons together? i want to customize my lr i dont want it i njust on huge island or blob? would i have to acclimate my lr or ls ?? in some way if i get it from swf or someplace else?

viet-tin

just go to your lfs im sure theyll have lr to sell by the pound. Just make sure you cure your rock before placing it into an existing system. Just put the rock into a seperate container with saltwater and let it sit for a few weeks. This will allow you to monitor the rock for unwanted pest and wont spkie your water parameters. The ls can just go into the tank.

viet-tin

you can always hammer and chisel the rock and break it to pieces or you can try and make your own lr. I dont have any experience in making my own but im sure others on the boards have.

viet-tin

Well it depends on what you like. Many people like the porous fiji rock and some like the diversity of florida rock theres also tonga branch and kaelini(sp?) there are many types of rocks you just have to find one you like.

meadbhb

Hiya,
For stocking guidelines, use 1 gallon to 5" of adult sized fish.
LR guidelines, 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of LR per gallon.
Meadbhb

swimrnum1

ok well i was goin through my old fw stuff and founs some thiungs that i could reuse. my heater turned out to be a tropical heater also. i think i will have to get a new pump my current/old pump is-- an Elite 802 Air Pump
9 i doubt i can reuse that) my filter is a mini whisper power filter which u need one for evry 10 gallons
(i was thinkin of getting one of the same kind or a bit more powerful one)
pleas help and let me know if i could use any of those things again.
:help: :D :santa: :santa: :needhelp:

viet-tin

All that equipment sounds fine. But i dont think youll need another one of those filters if you get a skimmer.

viet-tin

Put it in a seperate container with sw and run a power head and maybe a skimmer if you want for a few weeks. Then you can monitor it for any unwanted pest such as aiptasia majano crabs etc...