help please

bschaible

how can i cut down the algae growth in my tank? i have 150 w MH and by mid day my sand has a green film over the entire bed. ill remove the layer of algae at night and the same thing happens the next day!!

mr.bled

I had the same prob. as you do.
all I did was cut back on lights, bought a sand sifting starfish and gobie.
my sand bed looks 100x better now.

bschaible

what gobie do you have? i have a scooter thats always hopping along on the bottom and i thought hed do enough to keep it clean, but hes not doing too much i guess

zerocool

How long are you running your light? I would recommend running them 8hrs a day. I used to have the same problem, I was running my lights for 11hrs, but I have PC. I cut the lights to 8hrs and got a nice clean up crew. Algea is all gone. Do you know if your water is circulating correctly? Sometimes you can get red algea if there isn't enough water flow in a certain area.

bschaible

my lights run 8 hrs top, have two maxi jet 900 phs and a hob millenium 3000 circulating the tank...have a pretty good clean up crew too...idk what the problem is at all..

bschaible

around my heater is actually the only place its not growing...i actually thought of that...temp is normal...80ish at highest

threed240

Also, how old are your bulbs? After about 10-12 months the color spectrum can change on mh bulbs. This will cause alot of algea too.

bschaible

bulbs arent even a month old...nitrates are good...algae problem is starting to get a little better, just been doing vigorous cleaning the past couple of days and it seems to be slowly going away.

cjason3041

i just switched to MH a few weeks ago and i am having the same prob. but i had some algae before i switched, so i expected this, i am gonna increase flow and run phosguard, nitrate sponge for a bit