Help please!

I have some reddish brownish algae growing on my sand. I do 20% water changes every other week and i don't overfeed. I run my 10,000K lights for 6 hours a day and my actinis for 10 hours a day. I have no idea if the algae is Diatoms or Dinoflagellates. I got some red slim remover from Ultralife and I have used it twice to no avail. I am leaning to the algae being Dino's since I have had 3 snail deaths in the last week. Can some give me some advice on how to take care of this? I have turbo & nassarius snails with red and blue leg hermit crabs as cleaners. The only parameter that has been out fo sync lately are the nitrates. Atm they are at 20 and I am already working on lowering them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

ty for linking that beth, it was very informative and I have just initiated 2 of the suggested prevention procedures, the food and the lights. The thread didn't mention anything about snails dying. Anyone have suggestions as to why that may be?

rykna

Possibly not enough green algae to eat. You can buy some algae sheets to supplement until your green algae starts to take over the take, which is a positive part of cycling.

michaeltx

I have heard of people nuking there tank if its not used in the exact way its labeled. I have never used it myself though
Mike

1journeyman

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
I have heard of people nuking there tank if its not used in the exact way its labeled. I have never used it myself though
Mike
I'm trying to find where I read it.... but I seem to recall cyano can relase a toxin. Anyone have info on that?

michaeltx

yeah I vaugly remember something about that to but cant remember where it was I will look and see if I can find it.
Mike

ty for all of the replies. I have sufficient algae to feed the snails. I also give them algae sheets. The only poisons I know of that kill them are the Dino's... my poor snails :(

dinks

lol...newbie with info on cyano. Been there and done that..still battleing it.
1. I tried the 'treatments' they don't work and actually made my tank worse. You have to cut off skimmers and all filtration while using it. ..yuck
2. It does not release toxins (which is what I read)...for what that is worth.lol
3. Best way to get rid of it is time, and good husbandry
4. Do a 20% water change now. No food for a week...NONE
Do another 20% water change. Feed VERY lightly. Do not feed again for 2 days. Look for deadspots in the tank. Increase water flow in that area...bet that is where the cyano is. After that feed VERY lightly. I was told I was overfeeding. I now only feed every other day.
It takes time to get rid of cyano. It is better to NOT put stuff in your tank, as far as meds go, unless absolutely necessary. But cyano is not one of them. Just wait it out, and treat naturally :)
Trust me I am the newbie who holds the title of Cyano queen. I did LOTS of research.
Good Luck,
dinks~

dinks

ps....I bought a HYdor Korlia for my dead spot. It is looking much better now, and my cyano is almost cmpletely gone :)
dinks